Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School

Thread: Home Depot Muriatic Acid a joke!

Home Depot Muriatic Acid a joke!

I had been buying MA from my local Ace store. 31% concentration for $5.99 a gallon.

While at Home Depot, I saw they had a pallet of MA and grabbed a couple two gallon packs for $10.99 each thinking it was more economical than Ace.

I was using it in the spa and I could not get the PH levels to where they needed to be based on the pool calculator recommended amounts. So I kept adding more and was going through MA fast.

I went to Home Depot to buy more and this is when I noticed the concentration on this kemtekk stuff, it was 14% only.

I did the calculation and figured out I was paying TWICE as much for MA as the Ace brand! Duh!

No wonder the levels were not reacting like they should have.

Be aware. Do NOT assume apples are apples, you have to read the labels.

Re: Home Depot Muriatic Acid a joke!

I've seen a few people post similar stories. I wonder if something should be added in the pool school articles about home depot's having low ma concentrations, kind of like the dollar store bleach?
    poolcalculator-question-on-ma-t15254.html
    16x32 21,000 gallon in-ground exposed aggregate, 1.5hp pump, 120 sqft catridge filter, birdcage, solar panels, aquavac tigershark qc robot.

This isn't unique to Home Depot, nor is it uniform from store to store or season to season. My Home Depot always has 31.45%. Some have 15.7% part of the year and 31.45% the rest of they year. It varies.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    TFP Admin. Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

Well I know to pay attention now and hope others do too as a result of this post.

I feel your pain mtbarr64, I went through the exact same thing just in reverse. My Home Depot seems to always have the watered down MA, I love Ace and the 31% MA. But I would never had known if it wasn't for TFP!!
    18k Inground Plaster pool / TriStar Variable Speed Pump and Controller
    48sq ft Hayward DE filter/ Swim pure Plus 40k cell / Kreepy Krauly
    Solaxx Ph-Tek

Both Home Depot and Lowes in our area, changed over a year ago to 14%. Luckily Leslies still carries the good stuff at a decent price ($9.99/2 gallons). I just hope they don't go weak like the others.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study
    18'x36' 20k gallon plaster/gunite pool, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge Filter, 450 sq-ft EPDM Solar Panel, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

Senior Member In the Industry

I sell 1gl of 31.5% for $4.29. Maybe I should raise my prices now. lol

dang, the pinch a penny's near me are 4.50 and 4.90. I think leslie's is 4.99. you aren't near lakeland are you? :)
    16x32 21,000 gallon in-ground exposed aggregate, 1.5hp pump, 120 sqft catridge filter, birdcage, solar panels, aquavac tigershark qc robot.

Senior Member In the Industry

Not in Florida at all. I have family in Lakeland though.

The Home Depot in my area still sells the 31% as do the pool stores. I guess after reading here a while I should be thankful. We get 12.5% chlorine in 5 gallon jugs for $11.99 too.
    27' round AG vinyl, 54" height with 18,200 gallons of water.
    1HP pump, 150lb sand filter run 12-14 per day. Using 12.5% liquid chlorine. BBB method.
    Taylor K-2006 test kit. Lamotte strips for borate at 50ppm.
    Goals: CYA-40, TA-80, FC-4, CC-0, Borate-50, PH-7.4-7.8 with use of fountain.

Quote Originally Posted by gsmornot
    The Home Depot in my area still sells the 31% as do the pool stores. I guess after reading here a while I should be thankful. We get 12.5% chlorine in 5 gallon jugs for $11.99 too.
    Where are you at? Your signature line doesn't say.