Was green now just cloudy - high readings

cincysaab95

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 7, 2008
Southwestern, Ohio
For the past season and a half of using TFP things have been wonderful - thank you! Went away on 7/16 and the water was perfect (tested before we left) and am using the chlorine pucks so I loaded the automatic chlorinator and asked the house sitter to just keep an eye on the water and let me know if anything changed. To my surprise, came home on 7/21 to a green pool!

Since then it has rained a lot daily - yesterday was our first non-rain day however, I was testing the water 7/21 - 7/26. The FC was low - around 2 so I added chlorine until I was above shock levels and fear now I've taken it too far!

Here are today's readings:

FC 33
CC 2
TC 31
pH 8.2 (using TF100 test kit 8.2 is highest # - added 23 oz of 31.45% muriatic acid yesterday - still 8.2 today - will add more acid)
TA 100
CH 120 (tested just in case - have vinyl lined pool)
CYA 80

The water is no longer green but very cloudy. I've been vacuuming (to waste) and back washing daily. Haven't had to add any additional water as we've had a lot of rain. Other than reducing the chlorine level and pH is there anything else I can do? The pump is running 24/7.

Thanks for your help!

cincysaab95 said:
Here are today's readings:

FC 33
CC 2
TC 31
pH 8.2 (using TF100 test kit 8.2 is highest # - added 23 oz of 31.45% muriatic acid yesterday - still 8.2 today - will add more acid)
TA 100
CH 120 (tested just in case - have vinyl lined pool)
CYA 80

Don't add any acid. Your test is being skewed by your high chlorine level. Maintain your shock level and keep running the pump 24/7. It can take a while to clear after algae.

Your CYA is pretty high, so you don't want to use the tabs anymore.

Shock level for a CYA of 80 is 31 so you are right where you need to be for shocking purposes. (Consider lowering the CYA level thru water replacement - you'll need less much bleach in general.)

Normally you should not try to adjust PH when the FC is above 10. High FC levels give the PH a false-high reading and it will usually drop back down when the chlorine drops to normal range. I think you should allow the FC to drop back down and retest the PH, lower it to 7.2 with acid, wait 30 mintues and then resume shocking with bleach.

You will need to continue shocking the pool until the overnight loss is 1ppm or less, and CC is .5 or less. Keeping running the filter 24/7 and backwash/clean it as neccessary, brush/vacume daily.

Have some POP! :goodjob:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.