Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Skimmer face plate rusty screws

1. Back To Top    #1

Skimmer face plate rusty screws

Pool installed a month ago , installer stated skimmer faceplate came with screws too long . He went to Home depot and bought correct length screws. Well, maybe he should have bought stainless steel screws ??

The screws are rusting and its only been a month. He is supposed to come back in the fall when I lower the water level below the skimmer to replace a gasket that is causing a small leak.
    Are these rusty screws ok to leave until that time and have him replace them then ?
    I am going to call him tomorrow and let him know.
    Above ground 33 ft round 52 in. high
    Approx. 25000 gallons
    Hayward Dreamline Sand filter holds 250lbs sand
    Hayward CL-200 chlorinator
    Hayward 1.5 hp 67 GPM pump

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tampa, FL

Re: Skimmer face plate rusty screws

Yes he should have used stainless steel screws. I think you are doing the right thing by calling him sooner. I know I would. Rust is not good. I would call him out immediately.
    24' Round AGP | 13,600 Gallons | Waterway Cartridge Filter | Waterway 2 Speed Pump | K-2006 Test Kit
    100% Trouble Free Since The Baqua Conversion

3. Back To Top    #3

The rust will bleed into the face plate and if they are rusting in behind the plate - it will get onto the steel where it protrudes through the factory holes and can cause premature rust in them. I would be exchanging them for SS screws right away - you do not need to lower the level to replace them - just do it 1 at a time.
    I also wouldn't wait on something that is such a tiny problem - just take a screw from the top with you to HD so you can size it up and buy them yourself.....

4. Back To Top    #4

Freehold NJ

I know this is an old post, but how is it you dont need to lower the water to replace the screws? doesn't water get in the hole while the screw is out?

5. Back To Top    #5

Montville NJ

yeah, some water will get into the hole - but it is not like it is going anywhere. Your pool is not going to drain down. I take half of my skimmer screws out ever spring and fall when I winterize and open because I use a screw on skimmer plate. The only thing you have to make sure is not to drop them into the pool, because you really don't want to drag around with a leaf net to try and get a screw out, and that water can get mighty cold, but in you go to get the screw.

27' Round ABG (17,000 gal) - +/- 11 hours of full sun per day
    Hard plumbed Hayward Perflex EC-40 DE filter w/ 1 HP pump (Got a new one June 2015)
    Filered 4 hours per day (on a timer)
    Pentair Aqualuminator - now working - and now dead once again, this time for good.
    Zodiac Wahoo