Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Pilot not working

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Pilot not working

Poolsean or other experts?

I have the pool pilot dig-220 with SC-60 manifold. It is currently going on the third season and last year it worked perfectly before taking it in for the winter months. The cell looked perfect prior to installing this summer, no flaky white crust or scale or anything so I didn't clean it.

Currently I am cycling the pool 5 hours in the morning and 5 hours at night. The swg is running at the following conditions.

Software v. 4.2
    purify level 2
    temp 88F
    20V @ 6.5A
    32%

I have been fighting no FC since opening the pool. It appeared at first to be algae, however I performed the major shock by following the direction on the sight and using upwards of 10 gallons by the time I was done and maintaining a FC over night. Been brushing the sides like crazy...

The only time I see any FC is when I dump bleach in the pool. I ran the Boost mode for 24 hours starting yesterday and still zero FC today. I know my taylor kit works because my spa shows the perfect FC counts...

I am running at about 3300 ppm salt and I double checked it with salt test strips. PH is perfect at 7.4 and CYA is currently running a little low at 50.

How do I trouble shoot the autopilot to ensure it is even functioning and generating chlorine? It appears to not be functioning. The displays and everything seem fine. Does the 20v @ 6.5a mean something is going on? Last year I was able to maintain 3-4 FC using purify level of 1, not 2.

I would be really surprised if the cell was dead after 2 years of use. I think I may have used the boost mode once in the 2 years, using mainly the bleach shock method.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool Pilot not working

Do you notice bubble coming from the return line when the cell is "on"? I look for these hydrogen bubbles to ensure that mine is still working. Just turn on boost mode and look at your return lines to see bubbles appear.

dave
    15,500 gal, inground gunite pool with 7 ft spa, 2 speed pump 2hp/.33hp, 3/4 hp booster pump, Intermatic P1353 timer, AutoPilot SC-48, Sand filter with ZeoBest, Heater, that I never use . . .

3. Back To Top    #3

I just checked, totally forgot about the bubbles. I could have sworn they used to come out a lot more, now I have to put my hand under water to see them hit my hand and raise to the top. Doesn't seem like very many are coming out....It is current still running boost mode.

4. Back To Top    #4

The volts/amps display looks more or less normal, the cell should be working. One test you can do is to collect a water sample from the return jet while the SWG is active and test the FC level of that. It should have a higher FC level than the rest of the pool if the SWG is working.

You should also test your CYA level. The most common cause of no chlorine in a SWG pool is when the CYA level is too low. CYA should be around 70 to 80.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School