Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Finished My Virginia Island

1. Back To Top    #1

Finished My Virginia Island

Started this some time ago and finally finished. Got lots of ideas and help from the Barbeque Galore Forum and this one. I started with a 7x7 foot slab that was originally for a hot tub that went away. It was at ground level so I spent some time with my grills on the slab to see if it was a hassle up and down the stairs before starting the build. Not wanting to pour more concrete, I limited my design to fit in the existing slab.[attachment=2:3quugfc3]Grill Slab.jpg[/attachment:3quugfc3]

Progress was slow and I was weathered out alot. I used Trex feet on the bottom and over built it with 1/2 inch Hardibacker overall. I went with wire mesh, a scratch coat and then Cultured Stone from Corning. The grill is a Turbo Ellite, 5 burner with rotissarie and a Turbo Wok side burner. The counter top is soapstone. I plumbed natural gas from the house, no more propane tanks.[attachment=1:3quugfc3]Island in Progress.jpg[/attachment:3quugfc3]

Finally finished this summer and we are really enjoying it. The project took on its own life and generated some additional landscaping which it turned out was the right thing to do.[attachment=0:3quugfc3]Finished Island.jpg[/attachment:3quugfc3]

For more pics, click here

Geoff
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Finished My Virginia Island

Well like an MORON, i didnt scroll down at first and only saw the first picture. Im sitting here, staring at my computer screen thinking, what the HECK is this guy Doing?? wow.. he has 2 grills and a nice little garbage can in the corner LOL!

then i realized there were more pictures!!!

I think it looks awesome! and ill be saving these pictures for when im ready to build mine!

Great job pal
    [center:3gj9kdnn]Matt Heck
    "HECK OF A POOL SERVICE LLC"
    Serving Ocean co. NJ
    COMPANY INFO BELOW
    http://maps.google.com/maps/place?hl=en ... 2995187987[/center:3gj9kdnn]

3. Back To Top    #3

It has been a long time since the BBQG Forum was up. I still try it once in a while to see if they have come to their senses. I did spend about 8-9 years there. Ken O and I are still friends although he too has moved on.

Happy to hear that what we did there and here has helped you with your build. I hope some day to see BBQG Forum up again.

For anyone interested in Garden Ponds, I am the Moderator of the GardenPondForum.com in the UK. One of my other passions is Koi fish and Ponds. These are a nice addition to any pool or BBQ Island.
    DrDave
    http://plansbyjorde.tripod.com
    Necessity is the Mother of Invention

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

It's been a couple years, but make sure you stain your trellis.
    16x32 Concrete IG
    Equipment: Carvin 525sf Cartridge Filter, Jandy Gas Heater, Vortex Solar Panels w/solar valve, 1hp Hayward Pump with 3/4 HP AO Smith 2 Speed Replacement Motor, Aquarite Saltwater Cell, Polaris 280 Dolphin Active 20 Robot
    Automation: Hayward Prologic Controller

5. Back To Top    #5

Great job of using the pavers and expanding that tiny slab. The Island also turned out nice.
    DrDave
    http://plansbyjorde.tripod.com
    Necessity is the Mother of Invention