Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Proper Pool Water Levels

1. Back To Top    #1

Proper Pool Water Levels

What is the "norm" for an IG pool's water level? Is it necessary to keep it at the water level "mark" on my skimmer, or is it ok to raise it a bit? Can too much water cause any type of problems with the pool equipment?
    18,000 gal, 18x32 IGP, vinyl liner, 3 to 5.5ft depth. One inlet/skimmer (Aqua Genie), one main drain. Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter w/filtration rate of 20 GPM/FT, Two-Speed Pentair Whisperflo 1 HP pump, Natural Gas Hayward H200 pool heater, Aquabot T2 (200 Series) Robotic Pool Cleaner (my best friend), Automatic Electric Pool Cover (2nd best friend).

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Proper Pool Water Levels

From what I hear, most keep their water level at about the middle of the skimmer.

I have had my water level higher, quite often 2/3 up, and have no problems.

They say that the 'skimmer' action is not as good at a higher level, but I have not noticed that being a problem.

Just my .02
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Proper Pool Water Levels

I am like you then. I keep my water level about 2/3 of the way up on the skimmer. Circulation does not appear to be impeded, as the recirculated water still bounces off the side wall across the pool and back again. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't causing any kind of "overload" on the equipment. As always, thanks for your input.
    18,000 gal, 18x32 IGP, vinyl liner, 3 to 5.5ft depth. One inlet/skimmer (Aqua Genie), one main drain. Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter w/filtration rate of 20 GPM/FT, Two-Speed Pentair Whisperflo 1 HP pump, Natural Gas Hayward H200 pool heater, Aquabot T2 (200 Series) Robotic Pool Cleaner (my best friend), Automatic Electric Pool Cover (2nd best friend).