Replacing Old Hayward Vari-Flo Valve

May 18, 2008
Sacramento, CA area
First, here are links to my threads about this pool over in "Just Getting Started":

#1 - Help? Giant Pond That's Supposed to Be a Pool?

#2 - My "Giant Pond" is Almost a Real Pool! And Some Questions...

We're thinking of replacing our Hayward Vari-Flo valve. It's quite old. According to what I've read, it was probably manufactured, at the latest, 1976 (unless this one is a later replacement model?). It's functioning, but not well. The handle is very hard to turn, and it leaks around the handle. We either need to replace the spider gasket and who knows what else inside --basically rebuild it -- or replace the whole thing. The model number on it (barely readable, but can still make it out) says SP0710\X62. I can order a rebuild kit for the spider gasket, and other various parts, if needed. I found what appears to be a replacement model for it at Amazon (have seen them elsewhere, but this was the best deal I saw). Here's a link to that: Hayward SP0710X62 Pro-Series Vari-Flo Replacement 1-1/2-Inch Control Valve Assembly with Gauge. The picture matches what we have, and our plumbing is 1 1/2". It looks to be sold directly from Amazon, and not a third-party seller, and they are offering free shipping on it, too, and all of that seems good. This looks like a good deal; right?

So, if this was yours, what would you do? We are inclined to just replace the whole thing. That way we'd know it was all new inside, and should be functioning properly. But it would be cheaper to just try to rebuild it (maybe half or less than the cost of a replacement).

Also, is there anything special we need to know about doing something like this? And what precautions should we take with the pool itself if we are leaving it without filtration while this repair is going on? It seems like it might not take too long, IF we don't run into any other problems in the process, so I figure we need to be ready for whatever might happen.

Thanks in advance! :)

Honestly, I would opt to just replace the multi. I could easily tell you how to replace the various parts, but there is no guarantee that the valve would be fixed :( If it's 23 years old, you've gotten a good life out of it and it's time to retire that old dog :wink:

If you need any help with connecting the plumbing on the new one, I and others are here to advise you :cool:

I certainly hope that this will solve your problems :)

Sounds like you need a new spider gasket and silicone seal. The silicone seal is what is letting the water come through the handle. What is making it hard is a combination of the seal and the spider gasket.

I would suggest that yo replace it instead of trying to fix it. I know the gasket is 12.95 and you have to buy gasket sealer to glue it down properly (8.00) so you have 20 to 25.00 not counting your labor.

My valve is 30 years old and I have never had to replace the silicone seal butI have had to repolace to spider gasket twice. A defective gasket will let you loose water through the drain port. This will make you think you have a leak in your pool but in fact it is getting out around the gasket.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the advice, you guys.

Doing the work on repairing it wouldn't be a problem for us. If we were to take that route, we'd just as soon do it ourselves (hubby is an experienced mechanic, among other things, so he could do it), and we have yet to find a pool store we like (especially that doesn't require us to drive waaaay across town). But thanks for that suggestion, jagfan. We'll keep it in mind for the future with other things.

On closer inspection, we've discovered a hairline crack in the cover near one of the bolts, too. It isn't leaking there, but it's probably just a matter of time. So, the better solution long-term seems to be replacing it entirely. Thanks for the offer to advice us on that process, waste. And you're both right, waste and TGM, that at its age, we are probably just looking at more problems developing in the future. With that crack in the cover, we'd need to replace that, too, so we're probably looking at at least $75 in parts. For around $100 we could get a whole new valve. The difference in cost really isn't all that much, considering that. And if it would help to alleviate more problems and headaches down the road, it would be well worth it.

The answer was obvious, I suppose, but it always helps to have opinions and advice from people more experienced when you're new to something (as we are to pool maintenance). So, THANKS again! :)

Thought I'd just put this here, since it's semi-related to the valve...

We ordered the replacement valve, and it's supposed to be delivered tomorrow.

However, we had a minor (hopefully?) problem today. A nearby garden hose burst and ended up flopping into the pool. I just happened to go outside a few minutes ago and noticed it, thank goodness! It is pretty full, up to the top of the skimmer and flowing over one edge into the ground around the pool. I don't think that will be going on much longer, though, since it's not much flow there.

Problem is, we can't move the valve to any position but filter without taking a risk of really messing it up worse than it already is, so I'm not sure we could use it to help get some of the excess water out. So, is this going to hurt anything if the pool is too full for the next few days? The pump seems to be working OK, but could this stress something out? It's on the high setting right now. Is it OK to leave it on? Or should I turn it off?

I'm probably just being a worrywart, but thought I should at least consult with the experts here. (Thanks!)

We were on vacation a few weeks ago and the pool was unattended. The pump was on a timer and continued working throughout. While we were gone, there were torrential rain storms that filled the pool to the top and maybe over a bit. The water height stayed that height for about 5 days until we returned. We experienced no problems. I believe you'll be fine.

jagfan said:
We were on vacation a few weeks ago and the pool was unattended. The pump was on a timer and continued working throughout. While we were gone, there were torrential rain storms that filled the pool to the top and maybe over a bit. The water height stayed that height for about 5 days until we returned. We experienced no problems. I believe you'll be fine.
Thanks, jagfan. It's gone down some through evaporation (was HOT today). And the new valve is here so we will probably be tackling that tomorrow.

waste said:
You're fine :cool: If you want, you can set up a siphon to bring the water down so that the skimmer will still skim.

Thank you! for your kind response to my above advice :-D
Why, of course, Ted! :) Your advice was quite kind, and exactly right, too. As I said above, the new valve has arrived (and it's very pretty!). ;) We will be tackling that job probably starting tomorrow or Sunday. If we run into any questions for you about that, I'll post them here. Thanks, again!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.