Where to aim returns in pool?

Jul 20, 2009
I have had my pool installed almost three months ago, and all information I have received from my pool company seems to be incorrect.

This is why I ask, where should my return jets be facing in my pool. I want to make sure I can get the best possible circulation.

Thanks in advance...

It kind of depends on where the returns are in relation to the skimmers. Sometimes it is best to point them at the skimmers while for some configurations it is best to point them at an opposing wall. Also, if you have enough returns, sometimes it is good to point one toward the bottom in the deep end (if you have one).

Usually a bit of experimentation will lead you to the best method.

Hi and thanks for replying.

Please take a look at this picture to view shape of my pool.

http://www.boldtpools.ca/_pages/pools/pool-gemini.php

My skimmer is located in the top right section of the pool. I have 3 return jets in my pool. They are located at the bottom right, top left and bottom left of that picture. The bottom left jet is in my stairs.

The bottom right one is facing towards the right (aimed at the skimmer) and the other two are facing the left of the pool. I notice there is not a lot of movement of debris in the top centre of my pool. Is this a sign of a bit of a dead zone?

Should both the jets on the left face the left? Seems kind of odd to me, although I could be wrong.

Also, what angle should I have the jets facing? Should some be facing upwards, downwards, etc. The right side of the pool is my 8 ft deep end.

A few ideas but may require some trial and error.

The return on the right is probably best pointed at the skimmer or slightly to the right of the skimmer closer to the wall. For the other two returns, point the return on the upper left toward the opposite return at the lower right. Point the return on the lower left toward the upper middle of the pool. My thought is that the crossover should get things to move to the right so the right return can move it toward the skimmer.

Also, you want all returns straight out with no up or down pointing. This should get the greatest amount of water movement. The left side of the pool may or may not develop a dead zone so some tweaking may be required. If it does, you may need to point the upper left return toward the lower left return.

Thanks for your advice!

I will start by moving the top left jet like you mentioned and slightly pointing the bottom right jet downwards in the deep end. This will give me a good starting point.

:cheers:

I should have asked this before...

But what should I mainly be looking for in terms of circulation? How do I know that I have made the best possible adjustments for circulation.

Thanks again!!!

Usually, you can tell if there are dead spots in the circulation, leaves and debris will sit in one spot and not make it to the skimmer. Dirt is likely to collect on the bottom in the same spot as well. Also, temperature differences between the surface and deep end can tell you if you do not have enough circulation down low. It will never be perfect but if your skimmer is working well and few leaves make it to bottom, then it is probably enough.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.