High Chlorine level, help!!

Jul 20, 2009
For the past week I have had really high FC readings. My test kit only goes up to 10 ppm(and yes I am upgrading very shortly to the K-2006) but I am right about in the range of 10ppm. I am using a Zodiac Duo Clear 130 unit.

This has only begun since I have added cya a week ago. Before the add, I was only at 35. Last I checked, I was at 65. I will confirm where I am again tomorrow with my cya.

I was running my salt system before the cya add on two of the five lights and getting a pretty steady reading of 3ppm. I have since adjusted the setting to one of the five and still hovering around the 10ppm mark? I run my pump 24hrs along with my salt generator. Is that maybe a problem? BTW, I do plan on counting back the run time of both...

Any opinions on what the heck is going on? I will post complete test numbers tomorrow morning..

Thanks for any and all input... :-D

Reebok, I am using the N2 cartridge due to it being my first year with the salt system and there is no way to cap off the vessel without it being in place. I do not plan on replacing it when it is required, so I will just leave the original mineral cartridge in place for the life of my SWG.

Duraleigh, I will shut the SWG off but I just have no idea how the chlorine level has gone so high. I will post back with my full pool test results today and let you know what happens to my chlorine level once I turn my SWG back on.

If you've been running the SWG 24/7 that's why the chlorine level is so high. You don't need to run it that much. On the N2, you can leave the mineral cartridge compartment empty, can't You? The unit can remain in the sytem, just empty, I believe it should work ok that way....

Well I definitely want to run my pool and SWG for only 12 hours and gradually work my way down. I am running the pump and SWG 24 hours a day as per my pool company which installed my pool this year. I have had so much mislead information from them.

I can not take the mineral cartridge out of the vessel as it will not hold the water going through it(A big hole on the top). Here are a couple of links to pictures to better understand what I am talking about.

Here is the cartridge..
http://www.getprice.com.au/images/uploa ... r_cart.jpg

Here is the vessel with the cartridge and electrode installed through the top of it.
http://www.backyardcitypools.com/images ... -Clear.jpg

Test results are as follows, and I have three. Two from pool stores and one from my basic Taylor K-2004 kit.

Pool Store #1 Pool Store #2 My test

CYA 60 35 Can not do.

TA 110 140 100

PH 9.0 7.9 7.5

CH 200 220 Can not do

FC 5.0 5.0 8.0

TC 5.0 5.0 8.0

Salt 3600 4300 Did not check yet

I can not believe the differences in testing. I am very particular on how I do my testing (Slow and patient with the drops).

I am trying to locate a k-2006 kit today.

cbowman78 said:
I am very particular on how I do my testing (Slow and patient with the drops). I am trying to locate a k-2006 kit today.
and the pool store is not.

it may be hard to. you might want to look into a fas-dpd and cya standalone test from here: http://www.tftestkits.net/index.php?act=viewCat&catId=6
the reason I say get a standalone test is because a full kit (like the tf100 or taylor k2006) will be a repeat of almost everything you already have except cya and fas-dpd.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.