Gelcoat Chipping and Blistering

May 18, 2007
Enid, Oklahoma
I have a fiberglass pool that is probably north of 20 years old (some neighbors remember it being craned over the house but don't remember when). There are quite a few chips and hairline cracks in the gelcoat and I'm starting to notice a lot of blistering as well. The shell itself seems to be in good condition considering its age. Does anyone have any experience with removing the old gelcoat and applying new?

No, I don't have any experience with it, but if you call a fiberglass pool dealer, I'm sure they would be able to help you. I do know that hairline cracks, and blistering of the gelcoat won't do anything to main part of the pool - but I do know that there are ways to re-gelcoat the whole pool. Can you keep us informed of what you find out? It would be good for others to be able to read about it on the forum :)

Gel coat finishes are used quite a bit on fiberglass boats. If you have any boat dealers in your area they may be able to do some repairs on the gelcoat. It may be difficult to match the gelcoat color perfectly. The blistering is usually a sign that there is moisture starting to penetrate the fiberglass layers. This happens on large boats quite a bit. If you go to the continuouswave.com forum http://continuouswave.com/cgi-bin/Ultim ... tion=intro section that discusses Boston whaler boats and repair section and search for gel coat you will find a wealth of information about surface prep and applying gel coat

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.