Intex pool help

Okay then, now that your CYA is higher, so are your chlorine levels according to the chart. So compare your 5 from the early a.m. to the results this morning before the sun hits the pool, see if its' holding. If not, shock again, but I'd use bleach. I'd also stop using Dichlor now, 45 is fine for CYA.

you have algae because you aren't following the methods outlined on this site found in pool-school/

to be more specific, you don't appear to have a correct test kit, which is ok, but you probably never finished shocking (I did not re-read page 1 of this thread, but I see your last post said you were "almost" done shocking and your results were...questionable at best and some were actually missing like CC) and you are allowing your fc to drop to 0 which requires shocking which you aren't doing (also mentioned in pool school), and you're raising your chlorine level nightly to a useless level (4ppm is the minimum that you never want to go below, you should be targeting 6ppm at all times based on a cya of 50 since you should round 45 up).

I think you can manage with the test kit you have, the FAS-DPD test is ideal but you have such a small pool I think it's possible to get by without it.

Did test the CYA recently to confirm it is in fact 45?

I would go ahead and add enough bleach to reach shock level of 20. I would do this 2 nights in a row. After that, use 6-7 as your "target" for dosing which should keep you above 4 for your "min". This assumes your CYA is in the 45 range. It's entirely possible the CYA is lower for whatever reason, so if you haven't tested it yourself or had it confirmed at a pool store, you should do that soon.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi,

I am thinking about replacing the 500gph paper filter that came with the pool with a 1/2hp sand filter, what is the recommended one to get? Stick with Intex brand for availability of parts? or I was looking at this one: http://www.lesliespool.com/Home/Above-g ... 42194.html but I never heard of GAME before, and I could not find a website for the company or parts for it. I would really like to be able to vacuum the bottom, because the garden hose vacuum is terrible, and the paper filter doesn't get all that silt/sediment off the bottom.

Thanks,
Brandt

I'd watch walmart. It's about time for their pool stuff to go on clearance. Although they might not have as many sand filters available cuz apparently they screwed themselves with the combo earlier this season.

I think the Intex stuff is going to be easiest to connect. They provide adapters and all kinds of goodies with the sand filter and pump in the box. I do think walmart will have them cheap sometime soon too.

Wirh respect to the silt/sediment issue: get a calf-high regular cotton athletic sock and stretch the mouth over the return. Secure it with a few rubberbands. Many of us on TFP have had huge success with this filtering out that really fine stuff. My floor had mounds of silt in the wrinkles despite perfect water chemistry. One day with a sock and it was gone. Rinse the sock out in the sink as it gets discolored, at first every day or two. Then less than once a week.

I ended up getting the GAME filter/pump as noted in my updated signature. Since I have the short cheap clear plastic 1.25" hoses with my 12' foot pool, it had the adapters for it, but with plastic on plastic it was not keeping a seal...I called game and they recommended teflon tape on the hose reducer fittings. Another thing in the directions it says to have the filter/pump at least 10 feet from your pool, but with the intex hoses that came with the pool it can only sit right next to it. I still have to get a vacuum for it, so then I have to figure out how to hook up a vacuum to it without having to undo any of the fittings

I would like to get rid of these cheap clear plastic 1.25" dia intex hoses if possible, and use standard pool store filter pump hoses....

should I stay with 1.25" or upgrade to 1.5" hoses?

threaded or unthreaded hoses?

what adapter would I need for the pool end, how do I attach 1.5" hose to the 1.25" rubber connectors on a 12' intex pool?

is there a right angle connector for the return so the jet stays pointed in the water and doesn't shoot up in the air from the weight of the hose making it noisier?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.