Is this Mustard Algae?

G

Posts split off to form new topic by Moderator.

I've been having trouble with this also this year. Last year, had a few spots of what I thought were MA, and cleared them up. This year, I'm using the pool much less (much cooler summer). It's mostly been covered up, and it seems that every time I want to use it, I have to do a major cleaning / vac job. Water has been clear all summer. There hasn't been any CC this year to speak of, so I thought that perhaps it's pollen (we're surrounded by trees, pines on my property as well as hardwoods in the forest across the street).

On this thread, I read that MA may not raise CC for the first time that I can remember.

Last weekend, the side walls had some green. So, I took the cover off and brushed and shocked. Started to let the FC go down but green on sidewalls again this morning so they got another good brushing. Right now, it's being shocked to MA shock levels again. I back washed the filter this morning and a lot of green came out! Usually grey comes out; never saw so much green before today!

Oddly, pool pH has gone from 7.5 (it's been about 7.5 - 7.6 all summer after I increased it from 7) to 8.

Current numbers:
FC 25
CC 0
CYA 40
pH 8.0

Sue

Re: Algae survival?

reebok said:
ph levels read falsely high above fc 10.

Right. I'll test it again when FC is lower to see if there's any difference.

reebok said:
why do you keep getting algae?

Sure wish I knew.

It must be mustard algae, which is much tougher than normal algae. The mustard FC levels recommended here may not be adequate for my pool. According to the chart, my goal is 6.1 after I'm done shocking, but I may need to go a bit higher since it seems to be so persistent. Even above shock level (FC now at 30 because I put some bleach on and under the steps after I tested earlier today), I just brushed the sides again (2x today) because there were some spots developing after this morning's brushing! That's well over 24 recommended here for 40 CYA as a mustard shock.

Just tested again -- FC is 30, CC is 0
T/A is 80

Sue

6.1 is your "min". You should target 8 or 9, to stay above 6.

Make sure your reaching all crevices, niches, places where it can hide, like pool toys, floats, etc, put that stuff in the pool, wash suits, towels, in hot soapy water, dry thoroughly. It certainly sounds like it's hiding somewhere.

Note, you are reversing CC and FC....

frustratedpoolmom said:
6.1 is your "min". You should target 8 or 9, to stay above 6.

Make sure your reaching all crevices, niches, places where it can hide, like pool toys, floats, etc, put that stuff in the pool, wash suits, towels, in hot soapy water, dry thoroughly. It certainly sounds like it's hiding somewhere.....

I think that the stairs have not helped -- circulation's good everywhere else. It's really hard to clean under there. I'd thought about putting a puck or something under there -- any ideas?

frustratedpoolmom said:
Note, you are reversing CC and FC....
oops, fixed, good thing you caught that! First post I had it right!

There have been a few threads suggesting ideas. You can do a google search for "wedding cake steps" and get some ideas that way. I think a puck would work...I wasn't sure at first, but others have reported doing that.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.