Has probably been asked but i am not sure what to look for

I am new too pools. Have been trying for 3 weeks to get the pool ready, will be time to close it before i get it ready at this rate. I have been going to a local pool place and everytime i go i get a different thing to do. I am confused about how long trichlor pucks should last before they dissolve. The place i go to said they should be gone in no more than 6 hours. The research i have done says they should last 7 days for a 3 inch puck. which is right. Yesterday my was green and cloudy. last night i added pool clear and lavo 12 as directed by the pool place. today my water is blue and cloudy. and i do mean cloudy, when you put your hand in the water up to your wrist, you can't see the bottom of your fingers.

Today's test results:
free chlorine 0.1 ppm
total chlorine 0.1 ppm
combined chlorine 0.0 ppm
ph 7.8
hardness 190ppm
alkalinity 160ppm

if anyone can help me get this pool ready and get the kids of my back i would be forever greatful.

forget everything the pool place told you and don't listen to them anymore. read through pool-school/ specifically the pool chemistry articles, as well as how to defeat algae and hot to shock your pool. your primary test result that's missing is cya or stabilizer. very important to know that number. do you have it somewhere or can your pool sore test for it? you also need to get your own test kit, see recommendations in pool school. pool store results are often very inaccurate. in canada, about your only resource is the taylor k-2006 kit from apollo pools.

Dump the pool store and read pool school again and again and you will get it. Your PH is on the high side as is your alkalinity. Your FC is obviously low because the algae is consuming it. You need to find out your CYA levels and that will determine what FC level you need to maintain to kill the green.

Get yourself one of the test kits mentioned in pool school. Trust me, with pool school and the experts here you will become the master of your pool.

You can clear the pool by the end of the weekend, if you shock properly, and have your own test kit, so that you don't have to listen to the pool store....

Pick up an HTH 6-way test kit from Wal-mart/Kmart if you can, to get a head start. It can test your CYA level, and give accurate ph/ta tests.

I'd stay away from the pool store, they aren't giving you good advice and they're happily taking your money while doing it.

Start with Defeating Algae, and How to Shock your Pool. Both articles in Pool School.

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.