Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: question about pool calculator and effects of adding chems

1. Back To Top    #1

question about pool calculator and effects of adding chems

If I put in the pool calculator that I have a 1000 gallon pool and have a "now" CYA of 20 and a "target" CYA of 40, I read the calculator to tell me to add 2.7 ounces by weight of dichlor.

If I go down to the "effects of adding chemicals" field, if I enter 2.7 ounces of dichlor, it tells me it will raise CYA by 10. Seems like it should day it will raise CYA by 20. What am I doing wrong here?

Thanks for any help.
    POOL: Intex ultra new in 2014 (32 x 16 x 52) (seasonal; on concrete pad covered with 1.5" extruded or whatever foam insulation sheets - ugly, but comfy); added a through-wall skimmer; I add salt for feel. EQUIPMENT: Pentair SuperFlo pump (1HP, 2SPD); Pentair cartridge filter (200 sq. ft); Pentair MasterTemp natural gas heater (400,000 btu) Climate/Location: Eastern Nebraska

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: question about pool calculator and effects of adding chems

Quote Originally Posted by crek31
    If I put in the pool calculator that I have a 1000 gallon pool and have a "now" CYA of 20 and a "target" CYA of 40, I read the calculator to tell me to add 2.7 ounces by weight of dichlor.
    Actually, that is 2.7 ounces by weight of stabilizer (cyanuric acid) NOT dichlor.

If I go down to the "effects of adding chemicals" field, if I enter 2.7 ounces of dichlor, it tells me it will raise CYA by 10. Seems like it should day it will raise CYA by 20. What am I doing wrong here?

Thanks for any help.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: question about pool calculator and effects of adding chems

Got it. Thanks.
    POOL: Intex ultra new in 2014 (32 x 16 x 52) (seasonal; on concrete pad covered with 1.5" extruded or whatever foam insulation sheets - ugly, but comfy); added a through-wall skimmer; I add salt for feel. EQUIPMENT: Pentair SuperFlo pump (1HP, 2SPD); Pentair cartridge filter (200 sq. ft); Pentair MasterTemp natural gas heater (400,000 btu) Climate/Location: Eastern Nebraska