IF issue, where is the sensor wire located?

Jul 7, 2008
Bremen, GA
Hi....I'm having the same 'IF' issue. Which/where is the sensor wire located? Does the ignitor just pop out? I want to test it like the above post suggests, but I'm not quite sure how to get it out. Does the burner assembly have to be removed to do this? Any help is greatly appreciated. PS.....sorry to hijack thread.

Re: Hayward H400 Ignition Failure

The flame sensor is usually pretty easy to remove. Just two screws holding it in place. You should see it mounted just above the burner. There'll be a single wire running to it, and it almost looks like a spark ignitor from a grill or something. Can't find a diagram right now, but reply if you still can't find it from this description and I'll track it down.

Kinda.....I can tell it gets heat based on the fumes that come out of the top for a brief second. I have noticed that my pool pressure it higher than normal. I have two valves that I can use to bypass the heater all together. If the water doesn't pass through the heater, my pressure is about 18 psi, which is about normal. When running through the heater, it's about 28 psi. I backwashed yesterday and realized that it didn't make a difference. If there is some kind of blockage in the plumbing, would that keep it from firing up?

It would cause the high limit circuit to open, which would kill the flame. You'll have to check continuity on your safety circuit just before you turn it on and then again once it kicks off. Got a volt meter/continuity tester handy?

There's a wiring diagram on the inside panel that will show you the loop with the pressure switch, high limits, fusible link, etc. One of those components is probably opening. You just need to track down which one.

One step forward, two steps back! Bad luck just seems to follow me. I disconnected the PVC lines thinking that there might be some debris in the heater causing the psi to be higher. Couldn't find anything and the union nuts would not go back on. They were kinda out of round. Went to three pool stores and finally found a replacement set. Replumbed those and decided to "clean" out the heater. Took it apart the best I could. Made sure there were no spiders clogging things up. Removed lots of bark from the previous owner's landscape (heater is only two years old - he built a bigger pool and sold me his heater cheap - he's worth several millions, so he cut me a great deal). Anyway, there was a big dirt dobber's nest on the control board, so I removed as much of it I could without touching the board (insert possible problem here). Put heater back together and now, instead of getting an IF, I get no power/response from the heater. Clean heater, no power. I did the continuity test during the cleaning and it all seemed to work well. I guess I'm going to call a repair service unless someone tells me there a magical reset button that I missed that just needs pushing :) Just looking for the 'Easy Button'. Thanks for listening to my rant.

The only thing that I disconnected from the board was a three prong set of wires that ran back to the temperature sensor. Most wires I just disconnected and reconnected them right back to test for secure connection. The blue/white wires on the water pressure switch may have gotten reversed (had to stop and come back), but based on the bend in the wires, I think I got it right. Even tried changing them with no luck. The blue is the closet to the front panel with the white behind it (if you can picture looking at the switch). That is all. I get no lights at all on the front panel. If a picture of everything would help, I'll be glad to post one (or a video). Thanks again for talking me through this stuff. Spishex, you are a great help to me and everyone else.

GADawgFan said:
The only thing that I disconnected from the board was a three prong set of wires that ran back to the temperature sensor. Most wires I just disconnected and reconnected them right back to test for secure connection. The blue/white wires on the water pressure switch may have gotten reversed (had to stop and come back), but based on the bend in the wires, I think I got it right. Even tried changing them with no luck. The blue is the closet to the front panel with the white behind it (if you can picture looking at the switch). That is all. I get no lights at all on the front panel. If a picture of everything would help, I'll be glad to post one (or a video). Thanks again for talking me through this stuff. Spishex, you are a great help to me and everyone else.

:-D

The order of the wires through the pressure switch doesn't matter.

If you're not getting any lights at all you need to check your incoming power, power from the transformer, fuses, and voltage selector settings (that shouldn't have changed but you never know).

If you don't have your manual handy, here's a copy. You need the top of page 37.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Before you go out and spend money on new parts, If you are getting "IF" the first thing to do is clean out your gas orifices, The metal gas tube will rust and flake inside and the orifice holes are larges enough for bugs and spiders to nest and clog the orifices, Removed them clean them out, Tap on the gas tube and get compressed air to blow stuff out (make sure gas and power to unit is off). You'll be suprised how much crud gets in there during the winter months. reassemble and fire it up, If this doesn;t work then start replacing parts. Igniter, Flame sensor and valve. Some have the expensive silicon nitride igniter which does not buzz, It gets red hot you can take it out plug it and turn on the unit (gas off) and it will glow red hot. (Make sure it doesn't touch anything)You know it works this way. And off to the next part....... :hammer:

Stupid Question of the day......on the pressure switch, when testing for continuity, I should be able to touch both terminals to tell correct? I went through all of the wiring/limiters/switches and it's the only one that does 'beep' (sorry for my ignorance) when testing. This should be my problem, correct? Or at least need replacing? Thanks...David

I am having the EXACT same problem with my EXACT same heater. Today I replaced a cracked pump housing which was causing a 3psi flow which I though was probably the issue... However, no such luck. Did you replace the flame sensor? Have you made any headway? Thanks

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.