TF 100 Test Kit Instructions

Reebs

Bronze Supporter
Aug 4, 2008
Hebron, CT
I have the TF 100 Test kit. I am getting the hang of it now, but there is still one aspect to the instructions that is very confusing. It is under the Calcium Hardness Test section. The last sentence in step #2 says “Red indicates the presence of Calcium”. My first question is what does pink mean? It never turns red.

More importantly, my second question is, in step #3 at the end it says NOTE: If the pool water contains copper, add two drops of R-0012 prior to adding R-0011L and continue…

How do I know if my water contains copper? Why does the kit mention the Calcium point if it doesn’t go on to explain the significance of Calcium?

The only thing I can think of is either Copper or Calcium is a misprint and it is supposed to be the same word??

Thanks!

that's correct...unless your CH is 300+ or you use cal-hypo for chlorination, it just about a non-issue...even if it is high, it is important to keep your PH below 7.8. Anything above 7.8 promotes calcium scaling when high CH levels are present.

How do I know if my water contains copper?
Copper is rarely a natural occurence. If it's in your water someone most likely put it there. Either thru a copper algaecide or thru your pH being w-a-a-ay to low and etching copper of your heater coir or copper pipes. If you have neither of these conditions, you almost surely do not have copper. The success of the test (without the copper alternative) will prove that.

Why does the kit mention the Calcium point if it doesn’t go on to explain the significance of Calcium?
The only thing I can think of is either Copper or Calcium is a misprint and it is supposed to be the same word??
I do not understand this question. the word "point" is confusing to me.

You should test for calcium at least once per season with a vinyl liner pool. Low calcium levels are fine, but high calcium levels can cause problems, just as they do in any other pool.

"Red" doesn't have to be any particular shade of red, anything in the red/pink family of colors means there is calcium.

The instructions do mean copper where they say copper. You should assume that your water does not contain copper, unless you have a specific reason to think otherwise, like a copper test result.

I assume my pool has copper because I have an ion generator with a copper cell in it. I leave it on too long and I get green plastic. I wish that part about adding 2 drops of R-0012 before the other was in the beginning of the instruction I had to dump the first couple of tests because I read it too late. that is a lot of chemicals wasted.

Thanks for the replies. However, I am looking for help from someone who has the TF Kit or who was a part of the writing of the instructions. In my original post, I used the word “point” and it caused some confusion. What I meant was “reference”. If someone has the TF kit and can clarify the instructions for the Calcium Hardness Test, it would be helpful. Specifically, the references to Calcium and Copper. Thanks!

The test interferences are similar to those in the Taylor K-2006 so the instructions are similar as shown here. You just add some titrant drops (say, 5 of them) first to your water sample, then follow the rest of the procedure as normal and then be sure to include those 5 drops in your total count.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.