Wher should the level be at in the skimmer opening

Jun 15, 2009
I have heard the pool water level should be between 1/3 to 1/2 in the opening of the skimmer. I think I just topped my pool with too much water because there is now only a little space left in the skimmer. Any pictures?

Thanks for the reply. Yep, looking at the skimmer I have maybe 1/4 opening at the top of the skimmer, so I have a lot more than 1/2. Can I just keep it at this level and let the water evaporate over time or will this much burn out the pump??

I topped the water off at where the pool water guy had originally filled the pool. I notice the original water line/water mark and filled it to that original line, but now I guess that is too high :shock: .

HeatherR said:
Thanks for the reply. Yep, looking at the skimmer I have maybe 1/4 opening at the top of the skimmer, so I have a lot more than 1/2. Can I just keep it at this level and let the water evaporate over time or will this much burn out the pump??

It won't hurt anything to operate at that level, but the skimmer won't be as effective since the water flows in more slowly.

I try to keep mine as full as possible (top of skimmer) - because we live in the country and water is costly, so rain is always welcome to top up the pool since dry spells can last a long time, that extra 3" is very welcome! Then, when we use it, it gets splashed out and evaporates and of course, you always lose some to backwashing - which I try to do right before rain is supposed to come. Leaving the solar blanket on keeps dirt out and evaporation to near nil. It's never bothered me that the skimming action is affected because it's rare that it collects floating debris on top (due to being covered) and when it does get some Crud floating on top, out comes the leaf net and in 5 minutes it's all gone.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.