Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New pool - Cannot run pump & SWG for 3 weeks

1. Back To Top    #1

New pool - Cannot run pump & SWG for 3 weeks

First time poster.. Have been reading your site for some time and am thankful for the info it has provided. I have a bit of an issue I hope you can help with.

I've just installed a 24 ft AG pool. Timing was horrible, since we are leaving for a 3 week vacation, and I don't believe it will be full enough for us to start running the pump/SWG before we leave. I could enlist the help of aneighbour but I figure they might make more of a mess that anything. Is there something I can add to the water to minimize it turning green while I'm away ?

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry
    Exeter, PA

Re: New pool - Cannot run pump & SWG for 3 weeks

a chlorinator might help but keep in mind it's using trichlor.
    X-Pert Pool Service
    X-Pert Pool on Facebook and @XPertPoolServic on Twitter
    22,000 gal / 16' x 32' / Vinyl / Hayward s244t /Pentair SuperFlo 1 hp

3. Back To Top    #3
    Hillsborough, NC

Did it come with a cover?

4. Back To Top    #4

No it did not come with a cover. I'm located in eastern Ontario, Canada. Daytime temps aren't all that high especially this year - Low to mid 70s.

5. Back To Top    #5
    Columbia, SC

Any relation to LICD/LFG Sohmer?
    Pics of the build process
    34x16x25 Lagoon IG Vinyl 14,800gal (Oxford Tile/Glimmerglass 20mil)
    Pentair: Intelliflo VS3050 pump, Intellichlor IC40 SWG, Clean and Clear 320 cartridge filter, LA01N 3/4hp booster pump and Polaris 280 cleaner

6. Back To Top    #6
    SWSuburban Chicago, IL

I assume you have added no chemicals to the pool (chlorine/CYA)? Have you had the tap water tested for PH/TA?

You could get a floater, put some trichlor pucks in it. make sure the ladder is not in the pool, so that the floater won't get stuck behind it. But the trichlor will lower the PH/TA while you're gone.

Chances are the pool will be green when you get back but we can help you clear it up. Not much else you can do without circulation.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner

7. Back To Top    #7

Glendora, California

You may want to reconsider the help of a neighbor. If you can get even some chems in the pool and setup your equipment then turn off the breaker. then all they have to do is turn off the water and flip the breaker.

I am not sure how much more of a mess you think they can make compared to your pool just sitting for 3 weeks unattended.
    18k Inground Plaster pool / TriStar Variable Speed Pump and Controller
    48sq ft Hayward DE filter/ Swim pure Plus 40k cell / Kreepy Krauly
    Solaxx Ph-Tek

8. Back To Top    #8

No chlorine or CYA has been added. PH is 7.8, TA 190.

I will get the floater and add trichlor pucks.

I don't want to burden the neighbor with this. This is new to me, and as I open the pool will more than likely have some questions. I have the time and interest to learn these things, the neighbour wouldn't. An extra complication is that I know I have iron in the water. I will have it tested to find out the exact amount, but a sequestran will be in order.

Thanks !

9. Back To Top    #9

When are you leaving? Can you have water trucked in and get your pump running before you leave?

14,000 gallon, in ground, plaster, free form, play pool.
    Sta-Rite Max-E-Glass with a 1.5 hp Emerson motor
    WaterCo Micron High Rate sand filter S750 490 lb, 4883 sq ft - using ZeoBest
    In floor Polaris cleaning system
    Blue Diamond robot for those after storm days when I can't wait overnight for the in floor to clean it.