Going on vacation

Jun 13, 2009
I am going on vacation next week and was wondering what is the best way to take care of my SWG pool, 13,000 gallon, above ground. The water and chemicals have been right on all summer with only minor adjustments on the SWG.
Pump runs 8 am to 8 pm and setting averages 30-40 percent depending on weather.
CYA is at 60 after a lot of rain over the last two weeks and water removal.
I can leave it as is and hope someone can learn to run my test (TF-1OO test kit) and adjust the SWG.

Question is can I add bleach to bring the FC up to 10 - 15 ppm as insurance. If I so will it fad the liner if it stays high for the entire week. I have not had to shock the pool at all since going to salt this spring. That's for any help. I have until Friday to get a plan in place.

Conehead,

Welcome to the forum. Your pool is running so smoothly and you are obviously in control....I would leave it alone.

Perhaps you could ask someone to come by every other day to test pH and Cl (use the blue box kit), empty the skimmers and report the test results to you be email or phone.

Putting on a solar cover, if you have one, can help.

Once a SWG is adjusted correctly, it will generally run by it's self quite well for several weeks. If you have any doubts, just turn up the percentage a little higher than you normally would. The main issue is usually things like leaves blocking the skimmer, or anything that could stop the pump from running.

I just came back from a nine day vacation. All I did was increase the run time one hour just to keep the FC on the safe side of normal and lowered the PH to the low side of normal. When I came back, the water was crystal clear and the PH was only about 7.8 which is about what I had expected.

We even had friends using our pool while we gone. It was the least we could do since they were taking care of our animals.

Thanks for the replies. I am going to up the SWG and have a co worker run a couple of test.
We run titrations at work, so he will be able to do the test.

Thanks for a great forum. The information here has made my pool the envy of friends and saved me a bunch of money.

The only other question I have is on the PH rise with the SWG. I have not seen it. I have been at 7.3 to 7.5 all summer. And I am checking it on a calibrated PH meter at work. Not that I am complaining, just wondering.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.