Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Going on vacation

1. Back To Top    #1

Going on vacation

I am going on vacation next week and was wondering what is the best way to take care of my SWG pool, 13,000 gallon, above ground. The water and chemicals have been right on all summer with only minor adjustments on the SWG.
    Pump runs 8 am to 8 pm and setting averages 30-40 percent depending on weather.
    CYA is at 60 after a lot of rain over the last two weeks and water removal.
    I can leave it as is and hope someone can learn to run my test (TF-1OO test kit) and adjust the SWG.

Question is can I add bleach to bring the FC up to 10 - 15 ppm as insurance. If I so will it fad the liner if it stays high for the entire week. I have not had to shock the pool at all since going to salt this spring. That's for any help. I have until Friday to get a plan in place.
    24' Above Ground
    Aqua-Trol SWG
    1 1/2 HP 2 speed pump
    Cartridge Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Going on vacation

Conehead,

Welcome to the forum. Your pool is running so smoothly and you are obviously in control....I would leave it alone.

Perhaps you could ask someone to come by every other day to test pH and Cl (use the blue box kit), empty the skimmers and report the test results to you be email or phone.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

how long are you going away for?
    if it's only a week or 2 - i'd just crank up the SWG and go, only ask someone to check on it if there are heavy rains while you are away

4. Back To Top    #4

Putting on a solar cover, if you have one, can help.

Once a SWG is adjusted correctly, it will generally run by it's self quite well for several weeks. If you have any doubts, just turn up the percentage a little higher than you normally would. The main issue is usually things like leaves blocking the skimmer, or anything that could stop the pump from running.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

I just came back from a nine day vacation. All I did was increase the run time one hour just to keep the FC on the safe side of normal and lowered the PH to the low side of normal. When I came back, the water was crystal clear and the PH was only about 7.8 which is about what I had expected.

We even had friends using our pool while we gone. It was the least we could do since they were taking care of our animals.
    11000 Gals, Intelliflo, Sta-Rite Cartridge, Polaris 360

Pool I built in my old house: my-new-pool-build-t4534.html

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for the replies. I am going to up the SWG and have a co worker run a couple of test.
    We run titrations at work, so he will be able to do the test.

Thanks for a great forum. The information here has made my pool the envy of friends and saved me a bunch of money.

The only other question I have is on the PH rise with the SWG. I have not seen it. I have been at 7.3 to 7.5 all summer. And I am checking it on a calibrated PH meter at work. Not that I am complaining, just wondering.
    24' Above Ground
    Aqua-Trol SWG
    1 1/2 HP 2 speed pump
    Cartridge Filter

7. Back To Top    #7

That's a good thing! A lower TA may be helping. Every pool is unique.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

8. Back To Top    #8

Just got back from seven days at Myrtle Beach. Pool looks great.

Thanks for the advice.
    24' Above Ground
    Aqua-Trol SWG
    1 1/2 HP 2 speed pump
    Cartridge Filter