Where is my bond beam?

lborne

Jun 29, 2009
Vero Beach, FL
Just had the gunite applied today. As you can see from the wall on the left, there is no bond beam. I won't have access to the blueprints from the engineer until later tonight but thought I'd throw this up and see what any builders here might think.[attachment=0:1hrzeo9n]P7202778 (Large).JPG[/attachment:1hrzeo9n]

Attachments

• P7202778 (Large).JPG
    P7202778 (Large).JPG
    143.7 KB · Views: 926
I am located in south Florida. I checked the prints and they showed two different cross sections - one with a bond beam, and one without. I called the engineering firm and they said that with an overpour deck, there is no need for the bond beam. If we had coping pavers or tiles, then it would require the bondbeam so that the deck had something to tie into. As it is, the rebar will be bent 90 degrees and become part of the overpour deck.

The walls are only that thin right at the top - 4" which is called out on the prints. As you go down, the black plastic is bowed out considerably and it gets a lot thicker. The bottom came out to about 14".

What have you paid for on your contract? Bond beams pools are stronger than non bond beam pools. There are builders here in S FLorida that use both beams. Yours is fine for an overpour. Its all about what you paid for though.

Frank R said:
What have you paid for on your contract?

The contract does not specify bond beam or not. We had quotes from 5 differnet pool builders and none specified bond beams or not. However, all 5 quoted overpour as that is what they all have been doing for the past few years. We did ask about coping, but it was $1000 more, and really, what we want is overpour with a double bullnose tile on the edge.

I've noticed a few of these non-beam pools from Florida. The thing I wonder about is the cantilever deck. Everything I've heard says that they should be separate from the pool shell and the posts above are stating the deck will be tied to the pool shell with rebar. What makes this possible, no freezing temps? Soil type? Both?

bpricedo said:
I've noticed a few of these non-beam pools from Florida. The thing I wonder about is the cantilever deck. Everything I've heard says that they should be separate from the pool shell and the posts above are stating the deck will be tied to the pool shell with rebar. What makes this possible, no freezing temps? Soil type? Both?

A good question; one I'd like to know the answer to as well.

Even if the soil is stable and moisture or frost do not cause soil movement, my understanding that thermal expansion of a concrete deck can exert damaging shear forces on the pool wall (or bond beam), if the cantilevered deck is structurally bonded to the pool wall.

For that reason, cantilevered decks are not attached to the bond beam. Similarly, for pools with coping, there is generous mastic-filled expansion joint (gap) between the deck and bond beam.

Most of these decks use a fiber mixed concrete in the deck, no rebar in them at all. They also use significantly less steel than you're used to seeing in all of the builds on here. Also they're not tied to the deck, they're seperated with a bond breaker material(I've seen sheets of plastic, roofing felt) on top of the beam.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The OP had stated that the rebar sticking out of his pool shell would be bent 90 degrees and incorporated into the deck, that's the part I was questioning. If the cantilever deck is built as it should, separate from the shell, how does that allow them to get by without a bond beam in the shell?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.