I dunno, I never found any need to find a second opinion! I stumbled onto this forum when we bought a house with a pool, never had any experience myself prior to this pool. I have been amazed and overwhelmed by the patience and knowledge offered here to keep my pool running smoothly.

It took awhile for me to realize that I had to get a REAL test kit, not the strips I had inherited, in order to keep the pool looking good. The forum helped me through some issues with leaks and pool cleaner problems. Most of all I got to understand how chemicals in the pool work and to really know how to adjust them when necessary.

Now, some 7 months later, I have become a bit of a pool snob. My pool is bright and sparkling and I don't want to dip a toe into one that isn't. You'll catch it too... SparklyPoolitis.

anonapersona said:
I dunno, I never found any need to find a second opinion! I stumbled onto this forum when we bought a house with a pool, never had any experience myself prior to this pool. I have been amazed and overwhelmed by the patience and knowledge offered here to keep my pool running smoothly.

It took awhile for me to realize that I had to get a REAL test kit, not the strips I had inherited, in order to keep the pool looking good. The forum helped me through some issues with leaks and pool cleaner problems. Most of all I got to understand how chemicals in the pool work and to really know how to adjust them when necessary.

Now, some 7 months later, I have become a bit of a pool snob. My pool is bright and sparkling and I don't want to dip a toe into one that isn't. You'll catch it too... SparklyPoolitis.

anonapersona,
I couldn't even imagine going to another person's pool if they didn't do BBB. I am a pool snob...I do have sparklypoolitis, and I don't care who knows it. I will never swim in public pool or hotel pool...if you can't open your eyes up underwater, it isn't good water!!!

Intellecks said:
Just here to gather info and learn a little more about pools before investing.

Is this the biggest pool forum? What other forums are out there?

Intellecks,
Are you bent on getting one this summer? If not wait until the coldest day of the winter/off season and go in and see what the pool store has to offer. I bought my pool in january of 2008, and got a 2007 pool that was left over from the summer before. It is a resin pool all around, and came with a complete package...installation included except for excavation costs below three inches...I had to go four...and patio blocks...

Things to think about before jumping in. You have to have electric run to pool, it more than likely has to be on a dedicated circuit with a Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter (GFCI) If you don't have a dedicated circuit in you electric service they would have to install one. Also their is added expense if you have to have a building permit. All together the pool cost me less then 3k for a 24 foot pool, pump,filter and all the gadgets that go with it. I had to put in new service box, pay for excavation and patio blocks...All together the pool and installation cost me about $5K. Just something to think about. There are always extra costs that you don't think about.

Good luck and don't be affraid to ask more.