Zink anode question

Jun 10, 2009
Louisiana
I know zink aids in the break down of metals being a sacrificial anode and since i have a salt pool i figured it might help in keeping my frame and other pool equipment from rusting. Maby it will help with slowing the process of staining? just some thoughts. im sure someone with better knowledge will come and shoot down my dreams of keeping the stains at bay.

we use anodes to protect our boats and oil rigs so i have an unlimited supply i can readily "aquire".

The ones that I have direct experience with plumb in at the equipment pad and are connected to the bonding grid. I've never noticed one making a difference. I think it might be more useful if you connected them directly to whatever component you were worried about (inside light niche, for example), but haven't worked with that type.

BigBrownLog said:
yeah you have to ground it to whatever u want it to protect. i was wondering mostly if it would help slow the process of staining. maby chemgeek would have some knowledge on this.
I doubt it would do anything to prevent staining from metal ions already in the pool. For one thing, the staining usually occurs on non-conductive surfaces of the pool such as plaster, vinyl or fiberglass and not on metal parts.

Now if you are asking whether the zinc anode could prevent the metal from corroding and that such corrosion involves dissolving metal in the water that can subsequently stain, then yes that is true but as has been often pointed out the chances of having such corrosion in the first place are low. Yes, the chances are higher in a pool with higher TDS, but whether it's high enough to be noticeable is another matter.

There's certainly nothing wrong with using a sacrificial anode if you want to (except for the extra cost of the anode). Just make sure you don't have any aluminum connected to your bonding wire. If you do, then you'll need the anode to be made of magnesium instead of zinc.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.