I have dense scattered stains!

Jun 10, 2009
Louisiana
Well i did the trichlor test and nothing happened. Today i put a chewable vitamin c tablet on a spot and that spot was clean in about 30sec.

So i dont know what to use for the stains other than stuff at the pool store. Maby load the pool up with orange juice. Just kidding. And I also need to add cya so i dont know if i need to wait till i get the stains out to do that.

Exactly - if you have metals in your fill water, you have to use sequesterant anyway, that's why I was saying test the tap water first before you bother refilling with it, you could end up in the same boat, requiring sequesterant... :wink:

oh dont worry theres no way im draining and refilling. im sure people can bring metals into your pool one way or another. i was just wondering if i read it right and im stuck with that Crud. i guess i am. i dont have the time for that acid treatment. I have a unique job that keeps me away from home for 3 weeks at a time then home for less than a week sometimes.

i used something last year from the pool store to remove the stains and 20min after adding it there was no trace of stains. i dont care how much it costs or if they come back if i only have to do it once a year. i did it last year and they didnt come back within the summer. what pool store stuff can i get?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have no idea about stains, but I have read in several posts here that metal free is not recommended because it's not HEDP based, so if you look on the ingredients for HEDP or Hydroxyethylidene Diphosphonic Acid it will be one of the recommended ones. but whether it lifts it right up or whatever, I have no idea. maybe you can go back to the pool store and tell them the problem again and see what they recommend (I assume that's how you got the idea in the beginning?)

united chemicals Pool stain treat is a powder that can be added to the pool to get rid of the stains, also since it's a powder you can put it in a stalking and leave it on the stains for a stronger treatment.

United Chemicals Pool Stain Treat is just Oxalic Acid, which does the same thing as ascorbic acid, except that it is more expensive and comparatively dangerous to handle before it is dissolved in the pool. If you want an alternative to ascorbic acid, try citric acid, which is significantly less expensive, though it is slightly less effective.

X-PertPool, you have been recommending many different over priced brand name chemicals of dubious usefulness recently. Our goal here is to recommend inexpensive chemicals of proven effectiveness.

In any case all of these chemicals are used to lift the stain off the surface, you then need to use a sequestrant to keep the metals from redepositing.

JasonLion said:
United Chemicals Pool Stain Treat is just Oxalic Acid, which does the same thing as ascorbic acid, except that it is more expensive and comparatively dangerous to handle before it is dissolved in the pool. If you want an alternative to ascorbic acid, try citric acid, which is significantly less expensive, though it is slightly less effective.

X-PertPool, you have been recommending many different over priced brand name chemicals of dubious usefulness recently. Our goal here is to recommend inexpensive chemicals of proven effectiveness.

In any case all of these chemicals are used to lift the stain off the surface, you then need to use a sequestrant to keep the metals from redepositing.

I'm finding 2lbs bottles of pool stain treat for around 15 dollars online, and 3lb bottles of ascorbic acid for 24-45 dollars. Are you finding better prices? Is Ascorbic better pound for pound? I've let pool stain treat dissolve in my hand with no ill effects.
I find it to be relatively cheap and it works without having to lower your FC. I'm not trying to push pool store stuff, I'm just happy with it because it works. by the way, according to the bottle it is also listed as a sequestrant.

love your site btw

Kevin,

Wow, ascorbic acid has gotten a lot more expensive in the last while. Still, Pool Stain Treat is double the price of generic oxalic acid. Oxalic acid can also cause problems with cloudy water (it can cause calcium to precipitate as an exceedingly fine powder). Citric acid is around $4/pound, and is probably the best choice right at the moment.

Oxalic acid isn't as dangerous as say muriatic acid, but it is a poison and can cause nasty burns to your eyes, if you get it in your eyes, and breathing problems, if you breathe in the dust. Ascorbic acid, on the other hand, is one of the safer pool chemicals.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.