Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Sand filter leaking around multi valve nut

1. Back To Top    #1

Keokuk, Iowa

Sand filter leaking around multi valve nut

My 26"sand filter leaks intermittenly at the base. I have replaced the o-ring with a new one. this didn't help. I put o-ring lube on the new o-ring, this didn't help. Removed multi port valve again and checked for possible small cracks. Didn't see any. I tryed to tighten the lock ring down more, but its still will leak. Ist can go for a couple days and not leak, then start leaking again. My filter is running 19 lbs pressure on high speed. Welcome any ideas from all. Thanks

2. Back To Top    #2
    Not sure this will work for you, but before putting my multiport valve back on, I put a bead of silicon caulking around it.

Fixed all the leaks

3. Back To Top    #3
    Southern MN
    Mine stared to leak and i put a thick layer of vaseline on the o-ring and both points it sealed to and it stop the leak for a week now! I hope it keeps holding Not sure what that o-ring lube is like?? might be smiler ??
    16' by 32' cornelius AG vinyl liner, 6' deep end, 14500 gal.
    Hayward 250 Lb sand filter
    Hayward 40 GPM pump
    2-2' by 20' sun grabber solar heater.
    4 gal Liquidator. BBB

4. Back To Top    #4
    You should NEVER use Vaseline or other petroleum-based lubes on o-rings... You need to get silicon or teflon. Petroleum lubes degrade the o-rings.

see this thread for similar info.

8000 gallon 20' x 48" round vinyl frame pool, 12" sand filter (don't have the specs on the pump), TF100 test kit
    Handy Links: PoolMath, TF-100 Test Kit, Pool School, CYA-Chlorine Chart
    "Shock" is a process, not a product!