trying to balance my pool

yelraf

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 5, 2009
Hello and thanks in advance for the help. I have a new pool and a seperate spa and this site has been very helpful. :-D

1. Can I / should I add bleach if I have a SWG and a vinyl pool?
2. Where can I buy muriatic acid?
3. On the pool calculator am I OK if the CSI index is under 0.6 [i am at -1.32] in a vinyl pool
4. I need to get my CYA up - what is stabilizer?
5. What is washing soda or soda ash and where do I get it?

1. Only when you have the need to shock your ppol. Otherwise the SWG provides all the chlorine

2. Hardware store. Home Depot/Lowe's. Paint store

3. I don't use the CSI but something is a little low. Post results for pH, TA, and CH for more help.

4. Stabilizer is CYA (cyanuric acid) also referred to as Conditioner sometimes

5. If you need to adjust pH (post your test results) you can do so with 20 mule team borax found readily in the grocery store. The other two are another way to do that but generally, a little bit harder to find.

Soda Ash and Washing soda are the same thing, pool stores call it "PH UP". Usually it's recommended when your TA is also low.

If your TA is fine, then use Borax to raise the pH. What is your TA?

Dave's right, post your results and we can advise better.

Here are my readings. I was going to add based on the Pool Calculator and after everything is balanced add the 20 Mule Team to get the borates to 50. CH 90, TA 50, Ph 7.2, Fc 0 - [I added 50# of salt this AM], CYA 20 and Borates at 0. thanks,

You desperately need to get some chlorine in your pool. You are begging for algae to infest your pool without chlorine.

YOur CYA is low, YOur TA is too low, and I would suggest you disregard borates for the time being but your first and only concern should be to get some chlorine in your pool.

At the same time you're adding chlorine, calculate enough CYA to get to 40ppm and put that in there as well.

How does your water look?

For now, raise the chlorine to 10ppm. Raise your TA with Baking Soda, shoot for 80 ppm. That will boost the PH very slightly and stabilize it. As you increase the CYA level, the require FC level goes up - refer to the CYA chart.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.