Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: trying to balance my pool

1. Back To Top    #1

trying to balance my pool

Hello and thanks in advance for the help. I have a new pool and a seperate spa and this site has been very helpful.

1. Can I / should I add bleach if I have a SWG and a vinyl pool?
    2. Where can I buy muriatic acid?
    3. On the pool calculator am I OK if the CSI index is under 0.6 [i am at -1.32] in a vinyl pool
    4. I need to get my CYA up - what is stabilizer?
    5. What is washing soda or soda ash and where do I get it?
    POOL 31,000 gallons vinyl pool, Hayward pro-grid vertical filter 72 sf w/ 1.5 hP pump,
    Hayward Heater 350,000 BTU, Polaris 480 Pro w/ ¾ HP pump, Aqua Logic SWG, New Jersey
    SPA Infinity Sun Peak, 350 gallons, Filter cartridge 35 sf, Oznonator

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: trying to balance my pool

1. Only when you have the need to shock your ppol. Otherwise the SWG provides all the chlorine

2. Hardware store. Home Depot/Lowe's. Paint store

3. I don't use the CSI but something is a little low. Post results for pH, TA, and CH for more help.

4. Stabilizer is CYA (cyanuric acid) also referred to as Conditioner sometimes

5. If you need to adjust pH (post your test results) you can do so with 20 mule team borax found readily in the grocery store. The other two are another way to do that but generally, a little bit harder to find.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Soda Ash and Washing soda are the same thing, pool stores call it "PH UP". Usually it's recommended when your TA is also low.

If your TA is fine, then use Borax to raise the pH. What is your TA?

Dave's right, post your results and we can advise better.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

4. Back To Top    #4

Here are my readings. I was going to add based on the Pool Calculator and after everything is balanced add the 20 Mule Team to get the borates to 50. CH 90, TA 50, Ph 7.2, Fc 0 - [I added 50# of salt this AM], CYA 20 and Borates at 0. thanks,
    POOL 31,000 gallons vinyl pool, Hayward pro-grid vertical filter 72 sf w/ 1.5 hP pump,
    Hayward Heater 350,000 BTU, Polaris 480 Pro w/ ¾ HP pump, Aqua Logic SWG, New Jersey

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

You desperately need to get some chlorine in your pool. You are begging for algae to infest your pool without chlorine.

YOur CYA is low, YOur TA is too low, and I would suggest you disregard borates for the time being but your first and only concern should be to get some chlorine in your pool.

At the same time you're adding chlorine, calculate enough CYA to get to 40ppm and put that in there as well.

How does your water look?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

The water looks fine. Add the bleach to the pool and leave the pump on to circulate for a while?

7. Back To Top    #7

What should i push the clorine up to? I should get stabilizer [for the CYA] at a pool supply store?

8. Back To Top    #8

For now, raise the chlorine to 10ppm. Raise your TA with Baking Soda, shoot for 80 ppm. That will boost the PH very slightly and stabilize it. As you increase the CYA level, the require FC level goes up - refer to the CYA chart.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

9. Back To Top    #9

Bleach and baking soda are in. Do I need to go to a pool supply store for stabalizer? I will let you know how my water is tomorrow.

10. Back To Top    #10

you can find it there. some walmarts, lowes, home depot's, etc have it (and some don't).
    16x32 21,000 gallon in-ground exposed aggregate, 1.5hp pump, 120 sqft catridge filter, birdcage, solar panels, aquavac tigershark qc robot.

11. Back To Top    #11

Hi yelraf,

Have you seen the Water Balance for SWG's in Pool School?

Welcome to the forum
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

12. Back To Top    #12

Yes I have thanks. Pool school clued me in on how to handle my spa and now I am getting my act together on the pool. Have a great week!

13. Back To Top    #13

hello - the readings for the last 2 days are pH 7.65; TA 105; and the cholrine >5 easily and salt at 3,200. I will be adding the stabilizer / CYA tomorrow.