Brand New to TFP, looking for opinions on pool kit suppliers

Jul 19, 2009
Hey all,
I am going to do a pool build myself and am looking for opinions on online pool kit suppliers and/or TFP recommended suppliers. I have briefly looked over the entire forum and I am hooked on what appears to be a very informative resource. I did not search hard for any posts by someone doing the same thing I want to do, so if anyone knows of any please direct me. Also, all opinions and suggestions are welcome. Thanks for your time and I look forward to a long and informative relationship, Rick.

The three test kits that are recommended here at TroubleFreePool.Com are the Taylor K-2006, the Leslie's Chlorine FAS-DPD Service Test Kit, and the TF Test Kit's TF100. All three kits test Free Chlorine and Combined Chlorine using the FAS-DPD titration test, pH, Total Alkalinity, Calcium Hardness, and Cyanuric Acid.
Test Kits Compared

I have been using a frankenstein kit (modified Leslie's "Complete" [K-2005] to replace the DPD chlorine test with a Taylor FAS-DPD vial, powder, titrant) and over time have oversized some of the titrants I use a lot: R-0013 (CYA), R-0010 and R-0012, R-0871. It's perfect for my needs... I would have gone with a two-ounce commercial kit but find some titrants last forever, hence the need for the mixture of sizes.

One source for the K-2006 would be here.

If there's anything to complain about wrt the TF100, it's that there's way too much of some things you don't need much of (mainly R-0007 and R-0008). If you look around on the forum you'll see a couple posts grousing about how the graduated cylinders aren't 100% accurate. But overall I think the TF100 is the better deal and the customer service has no equal.
--paulr

I think pensadawg is looking at DIY pool kits and not test kits.

I looked around at National Pool Wholesalers and PoolManDan. I settled on going with my local pool store. I found it alot cheaper for the size of pool I was looking for and free shipping plus I could do a lay away if you will. :-D

Waste and I started a handfull of DIY threads in this forum. They are Part 1 Know the Code and Your Yard, Part 2 Site Prep and Digging, Part 3 Style and Depth, Part 4 Putting Up Steel and Squaring, Part 5 Plumbing and Lighting, Part 6 Leveling and Pouring the collar, Part 7 Electrical.

Hope this helps in some way. I know it has empowered me to start my build and feel confidant in 2011. :cheers: If you have any questions, just raise the thread! And when you start, you have to post a lot of pics! I mean A LOT of pics for us visual learners! :mrgreen:

Welcome to TFP! :cool:

i bought a kafco from National Pool Wholesalers, was satisfied with the quality and they always got back to me, sometimes it took a bit, but everything was shipped to my door. The video and some of the directions sucked though, looked like it was produced in 1970's.. Wish I would have known about TFP before i started....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.