I can't believe I did this!

AnnaK

TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 15, 2007
Eastern Pennsylvania
There are two ball valves on the plumbing. One is between the skimmer and the pump and the other is between the return and the pump.

Two days ago I needed to check the inline chlorinator, see if it needed to be refilled. I turned off both valves because if I don't, the chlorinator overflows. Checked, screwed the lid back on, walked away.

Forgot to open the valves!

The pump is on a timer and runs at night and the pool is a considerable distance from the house. If the pump complained nobody would hear it.

Yesterday afternoon we got in the pool. I thought there was an unusual amount of fine debris floating on the surface, more than usual, but oh well. Then I noticed the PoolSkim wasn't working and the weir wasn't, either. Hm, I thought, what's up with that? I did turn on the pump on the timer override before we got in the pool.

Checked the switch at the pump. Yes, it's on. But the pump was silent.

Then I saw the two ball valves in the OFF position.

You know that feeling when your gut clenches, your hands tingle and the hair on your arms stands up? That sensation caused by a burst of adrenaline shooting through your system and you go, Oh %$#*&^?!

My husband leaned over the side of the pool. "Everything ok there?" he wanted to know.
"Oh sure", I said, "no problem."

Ya, right!

Set the pump switch to the OFF position. Turned the valves back to ON. Said a prayer to the pump gods. Turned the pump back on. And it RAN!!!!!!

"The PoolSkim is working again," said my husband. "You're good!"

I didn't mention to him that I had nearly wet my pants in anticipation of having to explain that we need to buy a new pump the day before we're leaving on vacation. That would not have gone over well at all.

I wonder why that pump didn't burn out. I wonder what I can do to remind myself to open the valves, a rubber band around my thumb, maybe? I wonder why I got so lucky.

Happy Sunday, all!

I wonder why that pump didn't burn out.
Mas985 may have to correct my feeble understanding of constant speed pumps but I don't think they care if they are able to push water or not. As long as there is enough water in the pump (and there was in yours) that it can dissipate the heat, they can run fine. My assumption is your pressure side valve is likely after the filter so that would give the heat in the pump a chance to dissipate thru the entire volume of the filter water.

I comment on this because I did almost exactly the same thing about three years ago. Your description of the feeling you get when you realize it brought back painful memories. I had plans to go to my grave never mentioning it to anyone but since you 'fessed up, I was feeling guilty. :-D :-D

I don't know how to prevent things like that (other than staying focused,,,which I am incapable of) but I'll take a little luck any time I can get it.

I think you were very lucky. Once, my husband left the filter on waste, and the pump was off. We had timers. Later I went out to the pump area for something and saw what he did before the pump came back on. That would have been a big surprise when the water started going down. Another time, we left our pool and house in the care of someone while we went on vacation. I left very explicit instructions about the pool water level. He didn't even have to do anything to the pool but watch the water level since we had a leak. My daughter came home a few days before us, and the level was way, way below where it should have been. (The cat also had no food or water.) Anyway, it tripped the switch for the outside lights, and the pump basket was all messed up, and I think it burned up the pump.

But even if I had turned the pump on manually I might not have realized the valves were closed because the pump did run. It just wasn't able to push water into the pool since that valve was closed, or draw water out of the pool since that valve was closed, too.

I was definitely distracted that day. The dogs were clamouring to get in and there was a dog fight blooming at the gate which caused me to yell HEYYYYY! and knock some dog heads together and that, in turn, made me forget what I had been doing and the valves remained in the OFF position.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.