new pump seal leaks

DanK

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 17, 2009
strasburg,il.
I have a hayward power flo 1hp pump it was used and I got it from a friend so i replaced the seals and o ring. now the pump leaks a little at the rear of the pump first it was a milky white color which lasted about 1/2 hour , then it stoped. now it leaks a little but seems to be just clear water . IS there some break in time on the new seal or did i do something wrong ?

Try again. Avoid touching the white ceramic half with your bare hands since even a bit of body oil on that surface can (supposedly) ruin the seal. Be sure you've got the graphite side (shiny) facing the ceramic. And while you're in there, check around the seal plate where it's leaking for cracks.

OP:
Take a good look at that seal again, it may be defective.
I just did a new motor on my pump not too long ago and put a brand new seal on it.
The pump leaked. I took everything apart twice and was going out of my mind (b/c I knew I did everything right) trying to figure out WTF?!
Then I noticed it: the ceramic ring had a tiny nick in it :grrrr: Noticed by chance, really.
Once I got a replacement the leak stopped.
Good luck.

PS:
As long as the impeller screws on right or has it has no bearing on leakage.

THanks guys . impeller looked good, theaded on fine (but i didnt spin it to check to see if it had any wobble) maybe its warped or something .gotopools.com is going to send me anouther seal kit. its not leaking the bad right now just alittle seeping but it was real milky looking when i first started it up lasted about 1/2 hr and quit now it just clear water. its got about 40 hrs run time on it now

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.