Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cleaning Pool Without Vacuum Attachment

1. Back To Top    #1

Cleaning Pool Without Vacuum Attachment

Is it safe to use just the hose connected to the skimmer box without the pole/vacuum attachment to clean particles floating under the water but not on the ground?
    11000 gallon Viking Fiberglass 12 x 28, Intellichlor IC-40 SWG, 24" cascade fountain, 12" cascade fountain, 1 1/2 HP pump, sand filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cleaning Pool Without Vacuum Attachment

Welcome tp TFP!!

Of course it is Just make sure that the end of the hose doesn't get too close to the surface and 'break' the vacuum suction What you're talking about is the way I vacuum spill over spas.

Just to check, you DO prime the vac hose before using the vacuum?

Thanks for joining us here, please feel free to ask any other questions you may have
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

3. Back To Top    #3

Yep, that's how I vacuum out spa. In the pool often we'll make a whirlpool, which consentrates all the junk in the middle, then just use the hose to vac it up. Much quicker than vac.ing the whole pool.

Adam
    18' x 42" Intex Easyset Pool, with 16' x 52" deep end in the middle. Approx. 5500 Gal.
    Hayward Power-Flo LX 1 HP, 100# Jacuzzi Brand Sand Filter(Piped underground so it looks nice) 8)
    3 - 2' x 20' Solar Pool Heater Panels(roof mounted)
    Goin' on 9 summers...NOBODY thought it would last this long.
    Buried Portable Spa sharing pumps and water with pool (Almost complete project)

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by waste
    Welcome tp TFP!!

Of course it is Just make sure that the end of the hose doesn't get too close to the surface and 'break' the vacuum suction What you're talking about is the way I vacuum spill over spas.

Just to check, you DO prime the vac hose before using the vacuum?

Thanks for joining us here, please feel free to ask any other questions you may have
    i do prime the vac... i used to strong arm the hose and drown it like i was trying to kill it until i read here about putting it against the filter return... thanks for the tips...
    11000 gallon Viking Fiberglass 12 x 28, Intellichlor IC-40 SWG, 24" cascade fountain, 12" cascade fountain, 1 1/2 HP pump, sand filter