replacing skimmer in concrete pool

MEvan

In The Industry
Jul 21, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
I talked to a guy today who has already jack hammered out his old skimmer on a 20x40 concrete inground. He was planning on sliding the new one in and siliconing it to the old concrete. I dont do a lot of work on concrete/gunite pools. What is the proper method of replacement? Do you need to cut the concrete out to a certain size larger than the new skimmer, form the wall, and pour? Should you try and keep the hole tight and do a wet pour? What is the correct type of concrete to use? Do you paint afterwords? I would guess that you should also hammer drill and epoxy rebar stakes into the exising wall to prevent shifting. Any help would be great.

I'm not much help...but, I know when they replaced our old skimmer (old rectangle one) they jack hammered all around and then took it out....my deck is in concrete slabs, so they just took out that whole section and poured new concrete around it.
I think I have some pics of them doing it.

hopefully someone else will chime in....on how to do it.

good luck,
chris

** found some pics of ours
IMG_3712.jpg

IMG_3715.jpg

IMG_3721.jpg

Hey Matt, not sure how I missed this (other than things have been real hectic around here the past 10 days :rant: ).

When I used to have to do this sort of repair, we would paint on some 2 part epoxy coating, just prior to pouring a stiff (like 3" slump) concrete mix, to insure good bonding to the new skimmer.

If you need more on what I just said, let me know :cool:

Good luck with the replacement :-D

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.