Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: replacing skimmer in concrete pool

1. Back To Top    #1

In the Industry

replacing skimmer in concrete pool

I talked to a guy today who has already jack hammered out his old skimmer on a 20x40 concrete inground. He was planning on sliding the new one in and siliconing it to the old concrete. I dont do a lot of work on concrete/gunite pools. What is the proper method of replacement? Do you need to cut the concrete out to a certain size larger than the new skimmer, form the wall, and pour? Should you try and keep the hole tight and do a wet pour? What is the correct type of concrete to use? Do you paint afterwords? I would guess that you should also hammer drill and epoxy rebar stakes into the exising wall to prevent shifting. Any help would be great.
    Matthew
    Involved in the pool and spa industry
    Pittsburgh, PA

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: replacing skimmer in concrete pool

I'm not much help...but, I know when they replaced our old skimmer (old rectangle one) they jack hammered all around and then took it out....my deck is in concrete slabs, so they just took out that whole section and poured new concrete around it.
    I think I have some pics of them doing it.

hopefully someone else will chime in....on how to do it.

good luck,
    chris

** found some pics of ours

30-40yr old prehistoric IG gunite 20 X 40 approx 30000gals
    now with new cool blue Diamond Brite and blue waterline tile (looking good for 40yr old pool)
    new Hayward 244T sand filter, 3/4 Hayward pump, Jandy heat pump
    pool skim (love it)

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

thanks
    Matthew
    Involved in the pool and spa industry
    Pittsburgh, PA

4. Back To Top    #4

Hey Matt, not sure how I missed this (other than things have been real hectic around here the past 10 days ).

When I used to have to do this sort of repair, we would paint on some 2 part epoxy coating, just prior to pouring a stiff (like 3" slump) concrete mix, to insure good bonding to the new skimmer.

If you need more on what I just said, let me know

Good luck with the replacement
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)