Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: salt in my hot tub

1. Back To Top    #1

salt in my hot tub

I have 370 gallon Hot Tub and want to use salt instead of bromine.
    can someone tell me how much and how often to treat it? Is there a particular type of salt I should be using? are there alternatives?
    thanks!
    35,000 gal pool, Pebble-Tec, Pentair VF pump, DE filter, Aqua Rite SWG, Pentair Minimax Heater in Southern California

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: salt in my hot tub

Welcome to TFP!

Salt is not a sanitizer. When people talk about salt pools or spas they are talking about using a salt water chlorine/bromine generator (SWG). See for example this one.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    Salt is not a sanitizer. When people talk about salt pools or spas they are talking about using a salt water chlorine/bromine generator (SWG). See for example this one.
    I looked over the information on the autopilot website, and I don't see the advantage. You buy an >$400 sanitation system, and they recommend you add a "power pack" before and after each use. The power packs available for sale on the website come out to $1.51 per power pack, so you'd spend $3.02 each time you use your spa. Am I missing something?

I think I'll stick to my bleach.
    doodlespool
    Pool Info: IG-vinyl, 33000 Gallons, Sand Filter: running 24/7, Location: Western New York

4. Back To Top    #4

For an outdoor pool a SWG works really well. But for a spa the advantages are not as clear. Sanitizer demand is highly variable in a spa, which is not as good a fit with SWG. SWGs are designed to produce sanitizer slowly and steadily at a constant rate.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School