bleach smell in hair

momof4

Jul 8, 2009
ontario, canada
When my kids get out of the pool (even after rinsing in the shower), their hair has a vague bleachy smell (and is a bit blonder than usual)..is this to be expected in a swg pool? Is it an indication that something is off? My water tests (with strips) show 1-3ppm fc, pH somewhere between 7.2-7.8; alkalinity seems high (160ish). The pool itself doesn't smell like bleach and is crystal clear.

reebok said:
can you get any better test results?

What reebok means is that strips are notoriously inaccurate. We generally encourage pool owners to use a drops-based test for accurate results.

We also really need to know your numbers, especially CYA, which is especially important with a SWG.

Welcome to TFP!

Still haven't managed to get a drop test kit (a matter of debate with hubby who thinks the free pool store results are good enough)...pool store today (they use drop tests) had fc at 3, total c= 3, pH 7.5, cya 40 , phosph 500, ch = 175 copper = 0 , salt 3600 but total alkalinity had gone to 180...I questioned this, they said to hold out adjusting alkalinity down because we're having some rain in the next few days and that will help bring it down. It doesn't seem like they're trying to push any chemicals, which makes me happy. I am very against adding chemicals just to add chemicals...my goal is to have minimal additives in the water as I have young kids swimming all the time. If I emptied some water and added fresh fill water, would that bring alkalinity down, or would that just mess with all the other readings? No one is complaining of itchy skin or anything. I was told any bleachy smell is more of a chlorine issue than an alkalinity issue - is that true? I don't smell bleach when in the pool, or if I scoop up some water in my hand and smell it, it's more after we get out. We did super shock for phosphates about 2 weeks ago...could that be giving the bleach odour? I also notice it less if the solar blanket has been off all day before they swim. thanks for all the replies!

momof4 said:
Still haven't managed to get a drop test kit (a matter of debate with hubby who thinks the free pool store results are good enough)...pool store today (they use drop tests) had fc at 3, total c= 3, pH 7.5, cya 40 , phosph 500, ch = 175 copper = 0 , salt 3600 but total alkalinity had gone to 180...I questioned this, they said to hold out adjusting alkalinity down because we're having some rain in the next few days and that will help bring it down. It doesn't seem like they're trying to push any chemicals, which makes me happy. I am very against adding chemicals just to add chemicals...my goal is to have minimal additives in the water as I have young kids swimming all the time. If I emptied some water and added fresh fill water, would that bring alkalinity down, or would that just mess with all the other readings? No one is complaining of itchy skin or anything. I was told any bleachy smell is more of a chlorine issue than an alkalinity issue - is that true? I don't smell bleach when in the pool, or if I scoop up some water in my hand and smell it, it's more after we get out. We did super shock for phosphates about 2 weeks ago...could that be giving the bleach odour? I also notice it less if the solar blanket has been off all day before they swim. thanks for all the replies!

All high alk means is that it causes your PH to rise up. With an SWG, which causes aeration, the PH can drift up frequently and you may find yourself having to add acid often, and ONLY THEN do we suggest Lowering TA as a means to stablize PH. If your TA is not causing the PH to drift up then leave it alone.

Phosphates are irrelevant in a properly chlorinated pool. So if you keep your FC levels based on the CYA/Chlorine chart, you won't get algae and the phosphate level doesn't matter. Keep your FC above the "min" at all times. One thing of note, I think your CYA level is too low. For an SWG, we recommend a CYA level of 70-80 , read the article in Pool School, Water Balance for SWGs. A properly maintained pool rarely, if ever, should require shocking.

When you say you notice it less when the solar cover has been off....to me, that suggests you are getting CC's forming in your pool - Sunlight helps destroy CC's so that makes sense that you notice the smell less at that time.

You really need your own test kit. It's the best investment you can make to protect your investment - your pool. The pool store may not be pushing chemicals at this time, but should a problem develop, that doesn't mean they won't in the future. Armed with your own test kit, you can (a) prevent problems from developing in the first place; and (b) post the results here, ask questions and quickly receive direction on solving the issue, likely without having to drive to the Pool Store and end up with a chemical you don't need.

As for the hair - Nexxus makes an product called "Aloe Rid" in the shampoo aisle, it works very well for what you describe. I used it on my blonde kids when their hair turned green from copper in my pool. Works great - give it a try.

Hope this helps. If you are uncertain about anything I've said just post back. :wink:

thanks for the advice ---and for answering my next question: re: shampoos to use to ease the chlorine effects. I am going to pick up my own pool kit - if only for my own piece of mind...will convince hubby that the $ we'll save in mileage to the pool store will justify the purchase:)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.