We will be leaving town on Monday and returning on Thursday. No one will be available to add chlorine to the pool. On advice from this forum (thanks FPM) I will be shocking and covering the pool while we are gone as a preventitive measure. The pool water is nice and, um, as clear as can be expected with an Intex filter. Actually, it does look pretty good other than the occasional sand and grass that gets tracked in from swimmers but I have been vacuuming once a week.
I have been tapering off on my use of Trichlor as the CYA comes up. I have been adding bleach to maintain appropriate FC levels since the Trichlor reacts so slowly. My CYA level (as of last Saturday) was 30 and I will be testing it again this Saturday to determine the appropriate shock level.
My question is should I use bleach to shock or the 48% Cal Hypo? I have some Cal Hypo (hth Shock and Swim) left from when my wife bought the pool supplies this year at WalMart (before I discovered TFP ) but I am not that concerned if the recommendation is to just dispose of it. Is there any advantage to using the cal hypo over bleach? Any disadvantage? My CH is 150.