GPM Flow meter for heater line

Jul 11, 2008
Flintstone, GA USA
Just installed Hayward 250,000 BTU natural gas heater and it says to install a flow meter to make sure you are getting the proper water flow through the heater. Where can I find one that does not cost an arm and leg. Also does it install between the filter and the heater inlet port or does it install between the heater return line and the chlorinator?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Hi, Tom,

Few people use a flow meter.....while convenient, they simply aren't required. The price is always high, to my knowledge.

While I do not have a heater, I would be happy estimating my flow from the pump curve and the end result of how much heat was entering the pool.

I agree with Dave, you really don't need a flow meter and with a 1 HP pump, there should be no issue at all of having too little flow rate. If you have a two speed, low speed may be a problem but the Hayward heaters should have a low flow switch which will shut off the heater when flow rate gets too low.

Thanks for info. I checked with the local pool supply store and they have flow meters but told me the same thing. I do not need one. He said they only had them because it is a law that all commercial pools have one. He said of all the residential pool he had seen and worked on he never say a flow meter installed on any of them.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.