Stamped Concrete Color Change Project!

NCSalt

Apr 26, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Hi All!

Previously, we had looked into re-sealing our stamped concrete deck, but upon an accidental spilling of waterproofing deck stain my hubby came up with a new :idea:

After the spill he proceeded to color the entire stamped concrete deck with:
Olympic Maximum Waterproofing Sealant (Penetrating Oil Formula, Toner, Color: canyon brown) made for wood not concrete!

here's the story:
1-hubby spills wood deck stain
2-paints the entire stamped concrete with it (at this point I am horrorfied :rant: )
3-all proud he shows of his work to me and says: now it's your turn to find a sealer and make it work :rant:
4-hubby leaves town on business and I am left with a possible disaster :grrrr:
5-bought Quikcrete (wet look, high gloss) sealer in clear
6-applied two coats
7-waited for it to dry and take away the oily feel of the wood deck stain
8-day two: still waiting
9-day three: wow, it actually worked, made a cocktail for my mom & I and celebrated the success of an actually pretty stained deck, sealed and non-slippery
10-hate to admit it but hubby's crazy :idea: worked
:party:

See pictures below for the color change!
Cheerio, Tanja

Attachments

• grey.jpg
    grey.jpg
    333.4 KB · Views: 1,097
  • brown.jpg
    brown.jpg
    443.8 KB · Views: 1,097
As a new owner of two stamped concrete patios, all I can say is WOW! It's amazing the texture the stain brought out in the concrete, it looks great!

Our patios were put in last November and then got 2 feet of snow on top of them. Shoveling them took quite a bit of the color out of them. Terra Cotta with streaks of plain ole concrete gray is not attractive. Fortunately the owner the concrete company came out and stripped, re-colored, and resealed our concrete and it looks good as new again.

robrinker said:
Fortunately the owner the concrete company came out and stripped, re-colored, and resealed our concrete and it looks good as new again.

Hi robrinker!
Glad to hear the company did that for you! Our's never responded to any of our calls when we had issue's right after they put it in...but as you can see we helped ourselves instead....I'm still amazed that it worked...see pool deck below (we will finish the stairs and upper stamped concrete deck next year since that was sealed earlier this year, so it will remain grey for now)!
I wouldn't mind seeing some pictures if yours. Terra Cotta sounds nice!
Cheerio,
Tanja

Attachments

• finisheddeck.jpg
    finisheddeck.jpg
    389.7 KB · Views: 1,083
Hello,

how did you apply the sealer? I'm going to seal my stamped concrete for the first time and I have heard I can use both a roller and/or sprayer.

I just saw an ad for a chemical sprayer at Orchard's for $44.

Thanks in advance

btw your deck looks awesome!

tedinelkgrove said:
so how did the "mistake" hold up after a summer/winter cycle?
The mistake turned new color on our stamped concrete did not make it through the un-usual freezing cold winter we had...there are several spots (despite sealing) where the color has come off.....we are re-staining it as soon as this CRAZY POLLEN season is over....it's a bad one this year here in NC...I will post pictures before and after...ps: we are going with the same color/same stain...our moto is, if we have to re-do every two years we are good to go:)

Happy soon-to-be pool season to all!

NCSalt said:
The mistake turned new color on our stamped concrete did not make it through the un-usual freezing cold winter we had...there are several spots (despite sealing) where the color has come off.....we are re-staining it as soon as this CRAZY POLLEN season is over....it's a bad one this year here in NC...I will post pictures before and after...ps: we are going with the same color/same stain...our moto is, if we have to re-do every two years we are good to go:)
Hi Tanja!
Sorry that the sealer didn't seem to hold up. I'd tried the quick-crete product on a front porch and it didn't hold up a couple of years ago even though the porch was covered. I'm still using the sealer made for stained / stamped concrete around the pool. The ONLY problem with it is that if there isn't some sort of a breeze the solvents can make you dizzy! The difference may be the water base/solvent base of the sealers.

The pollen is bad this year. I have a yellow film over everything morning and night. Oh well.

Have a great summer!
-Terry :cool:
in Oak Ridge NC

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.