Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School

Thread: Stamped Concrete Color Change Project!

Stamped Concrete Color Change Project!

Hi All!

Previously, we had looked into re-sealing our stamped concrete deck, but upon an accidental spilling of waterproofing deck stain my hubby came up with a new

After the spill he proceeded to color the entire stamped concrete deck with:
    Olympic Maximum Waterproofing Sealant (Penetrating Oil Formula, Toner, Color: canyon brown) made for wood not concrete!

here's the story:
    1-hubby spills wood deck stain
    2-paints the entire stamped concrete with it (at this point I am horrorfied )
    3-all proud he shows of his work to me and says: now it's your turn to find a sealer and make it work
    4-hubby leaves town on business and I am left with a possible disaster
    5-bought Quikcrete (wet look, high gloss) sealer in clear
    6-applied two coats
    7-waited for it to dry and take away the oily feel of the wood deck stain
    8-day two: still waiting
    9-day three: wow, it actually worked, made a cocktail for my mom & I and celebrated the success of an actually pretty stained deck, sealed and non-slippery
    10-hate to admit it but hubby's crazy worked

See pictures below for the color change!
    Cheerio, Tanja
    Attached Images Attached Images
    NCSalt! IG - Mountain Lake 21x40/Vinyl Liner Fiberglass stairs/Hayward Sand Filter/Polaris 3900 w/Booster-pump (5060)/SWG Aqua Rite-Prologic-T-15 cell/Hayward Elec. Heat Pump/2 skimmers/Gallons: 18900/900 sq ft stamped concrete/Concrete Coping/TF100-Test Kit Hot tub: Dynasty Spa/Neptune Series, 5-person, 400 gallons, carbon filter plus 2 regular filters, LED color lights. "I control my pool, and not the other way around":-)

Re: Stamped Concrete Color Change Project!

As a new owner of two stamped concrete patios, all I can say is WOW! It's amazing the texture the stain brought out in the concrete, it looks great!

Our patios were put in last November and then got 2 feet of snow on top of them. Shoveling them took quite a bit of the color out of them. Terra Cotta with streaks of plain ole concrete gray is not attractive. Fortunately the owner the concrete company came out and stripped, re-colored, and resealed our concrete and it looks good as new again.
    ~30000 GAL In-Ground 26'x50' Kidney Shaped Pool
    Hayward EC-75 DE Filter w/1.5HP Hayward SuperPump
    daily user of JasonLion's Poolcalculator
    (12) 2x10 SunGrabber Solar Panels...now if only there was some sun to shine on them!

Quote Originally Posted by robrinker
    Fortunately the owner the concrete company came out and stripped, re-colored, and resealed our concrete and it looks good as new again.
    Hi robrinker!
    Glad to hear the company did that for you! Our's never responded to any of our calls when we had issue's right after they put it in...but as you can see we helped ourselves instead....I'm still amazed that it worked...see pool deck below (we will finish the stairs and upper stamped concrete deck next year since that was sealed earlier this year, so it will remain grey for now)!
    I wouldn't mind seeing some pictures if yours. Terra Cotta sounds nice!
    Cheerio,
    Tanja
    Attached Images Attached Images
    NCSalt! IG - Mountain Lake 21x40/Vinyl Liner Fiberglass stairs/Hayward Sand Filter/Polaris 3900 w/Booster-pump (5060)/SWG Aqua Rite-Prologic-T-15 cell/Hayward Elec. Heat Pump/2 skimmers/Gallons: 18900/900 sq ft stamped concrete/Concrete Coping/TF100-Test Kit Hot tub: Dynasty Spa/Neptune Series, 5-person, 400 gallons, carbon filter plus 2 regular filters, LED color lights. "I control my pool, and not the other way around":-)

That looks great Tanja. And all because of a spill
    Lynn

16x38 FG, 20,400G, 1HP/2sp Tristar pump, Hayward 425sq ft cart. filter, Pro Logic4, SWCG, 3 returns, 2 main drains, 1 skimmer, 4 Pentair deck jets, Hayward Phantom pressure cleaner/booster pump, TF-100 of course :-)orthofish-s-pool-build-finally-t13179.html

Hello,

how did you apply the sealer? I'm going to seal my stamped concrete for the first time and I have heard I can use both a roller and/or sprayer.

I just saw an ad for a chemical sprayer at Orchard's for $44.

Thanks in advance

btw your deck looks awesome!
    25k gallon kidney shaped pool
    1 hp pump
    cartridge filter (4 cartridges)
    jandy deck jets

Wow! That really did improve the look.
    Buggs

14,000 gallon, in ground, plaster, free form, play pool.
    Sta-Rite Max-E-Glass with a 1.5 hp Emerson motor
    WaterCo Micron High Rate sand filter S750 490 lb, 4883 sq ft - using ZeoBest
    In floor Polaris cleaning system
    Blue Diamond robot for those after storm days when I can't wait overnight for the in floor to clean it.

All I can say is WOW!!!! Don't you just love it when a mistake comes out better than the original plan.

so how did the "mistake" hold up after a summer/winter cycle?
    ~15000 gallon inground, plaster pool
    Jandy CL460 Cartridge Filter Tank, Jandy Stealth SHPF 1.5hp pump, Pentair Legend II cleaner
    Leslie's DPD Complete Test Kit, TF Tests FAS-DPD Chlorine Test Kit
    Heliocol solar pool heating (HC-40 x6)

Quote Originally Posted by tedinelkgrove
    so how did the "mistake" hold up after a summer/winter cycle?
    The mistake turned new color on our stamped concrete did not make it through the un-usual freezing cold winter we had...there are several spots (despite sealing) where the color has come off.....we are re-staining it as soon as this CRAZY POLLEN season is over....it's a bad one this year here in NC...I will post pictures before and after...ps: we are going with the same color/same stain...our moto is, if we have to re-do every two years we are good to go

Happy soon-to-be pool season to all!

Quote Originally Posted by NCSalt
    The mistake turned new color on our stamped concrete did not make it through the un-usual freezing cold winter we had...there are several spots (despite sealing) where the color has come off.....we are re-staining it as soon as this CRAZY POLLEN season is over....it's a bad one this year here in NC...I will post pictures before and after...ps: we are going with the same color/same stain...our moto is, if we have to re-do every two years we are good to go
    Hi Tanja!
    Sorry that the sealer didn't seem to hold up. I'd tried the quick-crete product on a front porch and it didn't hold up a couple of years ago even though the porch was covered. I'm still using the sealer made for stained / stamped concrete around the pool. The ONLY problem with it is that if there isn't some sort of a breeze the solvents can make you dizzy! The difference may be the water base/solvent base of the sealers.

The pollen is bad this year. I have a yellow film over everything morning and night. Oh well.

Have a great summer!
    -Terry
    in Oak Ridge NC
    Triad Region of NC
    18x37 Vinyl IG (24,000 gal.), BBB & GoldLine AquaLogic PS4 SWG, Hayward 1 HP Superpump / Hayward Sand Filter / Polaris 280 cleaner / 6 deck jets / Sheer Descent Waterfall (in coping) / Brick Red Concrete Coping / Stamped Concrete Deck
    Lots of oak trees, maple trees, *and* leaves!