Hawkeye's Baq Conversion

Jun 27, 2009
davenport,iowa
i tested last night for overnight fc test, i got the fc level up to 16.ppm last night and this morning it dropped to 14ppm and cc was 0.4 ppm it only takes like 3 drops to get cc to change back over clear again does this sound right? and that 0871 reagent i use like 70 to 85 drops to test around this higher range?... so i am totally getting used to my new taylor 2006 test kit i like it alot but i had to get a 2oz bottle of 0871 :goodjob: any info would help thanks mike b

Re: my coversion is almost complete!

no i use the 25ml test line im putting in 2 scoops of the powder and it lights up dark pink i didnt get it clear until like i said 70 to 80 drops? i multiply the drops x .2 am i doing this right? i heard the 10 ml sample is less accurate?

It sounds like you are doing well. With only a 2 ppm drop in FC overnight you are nearing the end of the conversion. Keep at it for another few days and you will be there.

Doing the FC/CC test with the 10 ml sample size is less precise, but it is fine for what you are doing right now. For that matter, it is fine for nearly everything. There isn't much point in doing the test by 0.2s, when measuring FC levels up around 15, it takes extra time and uses up reagent.

do i need i cya level to help hold for overnight fc test

i am so close to being done with conversion water is super clear! im just waiting for the fc to hold overnight but i tested for cya and it didnt show any cya..is this normal during this conversion? will this convert without cya?then when i pass overnight tests do i change sand out a then put cya into new filter sand through skimmer to bring up cya level? thanks mike b

Re: do i need i cya level to help hold for overnight fc test

hawkeye said:
when i pass overnight tests do i change sand out a then put cya into new filter sand through skimmer to bring up cya level? thanks mike b

When the FC holds overnight, you change out the sand.

Then you add CYA to a sock, and set the sock in the skimmer, don't block the water flow, or tie it off in front of the return - wherever it will dissolve faster. Keep the pump running while the CYA dissolves. Wait a week before you test for it again, or you'll just waste reagent.

Shock again until the CC is .5 or less for two consecutive nights, then your conversion is complete.

thanks for the help i am changing out filter sand tonight i have passed all my overnight tests i had to wait until today because of the holiday...how much cya should i buy how much will i need to use and have on hand?

ok i changed out my sand last night to find out that the drain plug on the bottom of sand filter all came off together and was stripped the cap was welded on i swear! haha... i had to go get a new plug today for $19.99! i got ripped off! frigin local pool store...so got new sand in today and i bought 2 bottles of 1.75 lb or .0794 cya....i read on forums that because of the baqua to chlorine i probaly dont have any cya at all anyway? so i figured from 0ppm to 40ppm? that i need a more than the 1 bottle? on pool calc. my pool is a 18ft round 52in deep 7700 gallon i think doughboy aboveground so weight wise i figure 41 oz? also can i add all of it to a sock and put in skimmer? what is a good starter amount? thanks mike b

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

JasonLion said:
You want to maintain the FC at 15 until you have CC at 0.5 or lower on two consecutive days.
one day down one to go!!!!!!! i had cc test show 0.5 this morning so one more day to finish conversion :cheers: :party: :goodjob: what would i do after this is done start testing water to balance it?

one quick question i about cya i put in sock in skimmer last night it is still dissolving and we had 2inchs rain today, my wife said the pool is overflowing out the skimmer,so water has to be pumped out so my question is what setting should i run filter so i dont lose cya in filter sand? vaccum to waste? drain it with that setting without backwashing cya out ? hope im making sense i dont want to waste it

i shocked pool last night then tested for overnight fc &cc test and fc was 15ppm cc 0.5ppm and this morning it was 13ppm cc 0.5ppm does this sound right? i put 28 oz of cya in it yesterday and i was surprised that it lost 2ppm overnight i still have to put 13oz of cya yet i was going to wait a week test then add more.........water is crystal clear, little dirt bugs & stuff on bottom that needs vaccumed out...im just worried about fc dropping like that overnight.......

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.