Solar Cover on during the day????

Jun 15, 2009
Two pool companies each told us different things. One said solar cover is to be on during the day when we are not using the pool because we will lose our chemicals and the water will eventually evaporate. Other pool company said to only put solar cover on at night or we could end up with a greenhouse problem (algae starting). What do we do??? We have kept it off completely, but now ( after a month ) have to add more water to the pool. Do we keep a solar cover on during the day or just at night????

There's no easy answer. It depends on the day. Here's my basic philosophy unless the pool is already too warm: Sunny, hot and calm, probably leave it off. Any other conditions, leave it on. Take it off every few days for several hours regardless of the weather to allow the sun to hit the water directly and for gas exchange.

If you're only supposed to put the cover on at night - as that one company said, it would be called a moon cover.

I second what John said, and will add:

If you don't mind the hassle of taking it off/putting it on each time you use the pool, leave it on all the time - it may or may not warm your water, but it WILL minimize water loss through evaporation.

I'm sure they work differently in different parts of the world. I personally found the hassle more than it was worth, and didn't want to put a reel on my pool. I only use the cover now when going away for more than a few days.

Dan

I think it also depends on the climate you live in. We have a clear solar blanket. This year it's been on the pool day and night except on weekends BUT we live in Toronto and it's been a cold summer and the water only got above 80 ONCE.

I imagine the folks with Texas pools would have different strategies :shock:

I leave mine on all the time, except when swimming, but I'm also "up north". I do notice that my chlorine usage is much, much less with the cover on than with it off. (I have a blue cover)

I do make a point of getting it off at least once a week to "let it breathe".

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I keep mine on the pool unless we use it - the greenhouse effect only happens if you run low on Chlorine or stop circulating your water. It helps heat the pool since it is darker than the liner, attracts heat and passes it through to the water - the top 3-5 inches is always much warmer than the rest of the pool once you pull it off and use the pool. It also pretty much eliminates evaporation which is a biggy for me being located in the country on a well and water trucks cost over 100 per load.

another vote for all the time unless in use. Never have issues with algae - proper maintenance is the key there.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.