Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Solar Cover on during the day????

1. Back To Top    #1

Solar Cover on during the day????

Two pool companies each told us different things. One said solar cover is to be on during the day when we are not using the pool because we will lose our chemicals and the water will eventually evaporate. Other pool company said to only put solar cover on at night or we could end up with a greenhouse problem (algae starting). What do we do??? We have kept it off completely, but now ( after a month ) have to add more water to the pool. Do we keep a solar cover on during the day or just at night????
    27' by 54" Aqua Leader "Creation" AG
    2 HP Hayward Voyager

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Solar Cover on during the day????

There's no easy answer. It depends on the day. Here's my basic philosophy unless the pool is already too warm: Sunny, hot and calm, probably leave it off. Any other conditions, leave it on. Take it off every few days for several hours regardless of the weather to allow the sun to hit the water directly and for gas exchange.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

If you're only supposed to put the cover on at night - as that one company said, it would be called a moon cover.

I second what John said, and will add:

If you don't mind the hassle of taking it off/putting it on each time you use the pool, leave it on all the time - it may or may not warm your water, but it WILL minimize water loss through evaporation.

I'm sure they work differently in different parts of the world. I personally found the hassle more than it was worth, and didn't want to put a reel on my pool. I only use the cover now when going away for more than a few days.

Dan
    16' X 24' Wilkes Pools "Genesis", 10K Gal
    Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1 hp, & 18" Pro Series sand (S180T)

4. Back To Top    #4

I think it also depends on the climate you live in. We have a clear solar blanket. This year it's been on the pool day and night except on weekends BUT we live in Toronto and it's been a cold summer and the water only got above 80 ONCE.

I imagine the folks with Texas pools would have different strategies
    15' x 24' x 52" Buttressfree Concorde (Atlantic) ABG installed 2007, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1 speed Pump, Royal Entrance Steps, Clear Solar Blanket, New Deck, and maybe soon a heater.

5. Back To Top    #5

I agree, depending on where you live is how much you leave it on.

Mine is on whenever the pool is not in use.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

6. Back To Top    #6

Another vote for on all the time here. Course, we live in SE Wis. and as I type this it's only 75 outside. We need to retain all the heat we can get! No problems with algae as long as the chlorine is maintained.

Adam
    18' x 42" Intex Easyset Pool, with 16' x 52" deep end in the middle. Approx. 5500 Gal.
    Hayward Power-Flo LX 1 HP, 100# Jacuzzi Brand Sand Filter(Piped underground so it looks nice) 8)
    3 - 2' x 20' Solar Pool Heater Panels(roof mounted)
    Goin' on 9 summers...NOBODY thought it would last this long.
    Buried Portable Spa sharing pumps and water with pool (Almost complete project)

7. Back To Top    #7

I leave mine on all the time, except when swimming, but I'm also "up north". I do notice that my chlorine usage is much, much less with the cover on than with it off. (I have a blue cover)

I do make a point of getting it off at least once a week to "let it breathe".
    ~30000 GAL In-Ground 26'x50' Kidney Shaped Pool
    Hayward EC-75 DE Filter w/1.5HP Hayward SuperPump
    daily user of JasonLion's Poolcalculator
    (12) 2x10 SunGrabber Solar Panels...now if only there was some sun to shine on them!

8. Back To Top    #8

I live in FL and plan on going on vaca in a couple weeks (9 days). My water is already 88-90 degrees, will it be ok to put one on while we're gone? I bought one just for that reason hoping for less evap and chlorine loss??
    18ft. Arcadia Round AGP - 19" Sand Filter, 1 hp pump
    Foam cove/ Gorilla Pad/ Wedding cake steps
    Sta Rite Lil' Shark cleaner and Aquabot Pool Rover cleaner - Aqua-Luminator light and return flow w/fountain attachment
    Added Borates 5/19/09 Taylor K-1005 and Taylor FAS-DPD Chlorine Tests

9. Back To Top    #9

Shock your pool before you leave, it should be fine...hot, but fine...LOL Even if it does turn a little cloudy or green, you know where to go for help on clearing it up right?
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

10. Back To Top    #10

right
    18ft. Arcadia Round AGP - 19" Sand Filter, 1 hp pump
    Foam cove/ Gorilla Pad/ Wedding cake steps
    Sta Rite Lil' Shark cleaner and Aquabot Pool Rover cleaner - Aqua-Luminator light and return flow w/fountain attachment
    Added Borates 5/19/09 Taylor K-1005 and Taylor FAS-DPD Chlorine Tests

11. Back To Top    #11

I keep mine on the pool unless we use it - the greenhouse effect only happens if you run low on Chlorine or stop circulating your water. It helps heat the pool since it is darker than the liner, attracts heat and passes it through to the water - the top 3-5 inches is always much warmer than the rest of the pool once you pull it off and use the pool. It also pretty much eliminates evaporation which is a biggy for me being located in the country on a well and water trucks cost over 100 per load.

12. Back To Top    #12

another vote for all the time unless in use. Never have issues with algae - proper maintenance is the key there.
    18x33x52 Buttressfree Seaspray (Wilbar) AGP - 1.5hp Pentair Maxim w/22" Pentair Meteor Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG System, Biltmore Walk In Steps - 2/4x20 Solar Panel Setup - Doheny Jet Drive (RIP -Pool Rover Jr) - finally hard plumbed the whole darned thing -
    Beats Driving to the Lake!