Pump Problems?

DanaR

Jun 24, 2009
Columbia, SC
When we first moved into our house and got started with the pool the pump was flowing quite strongly. Lately it has decreased suction significantly. The Baquapure superflow workhorse catch basket is clear. We have taken the extremely large cartridge out and cleaned it very well. It seemed to pick up some suction, but really not much. I am out there everyday working and maintaining it because I know that the filter isn't going to be able to really do a decent job. The chemicals are perfectly balanced (thanks to the BBB method!), and I routinely use the net to keep out large debris. The major problem: the previous home owners left NO owners manuals. I have googled the pump and I can only find the owners manual for a sand filter. Please, please, please.... can someone help?

Thanks

First a couple of questions:

Is the filter pressure higher or lower than normal?
(higher than normal pressure indicates a return side problem which is usually the filter. A lower than normal pressure might indicate a suction side problem which could be several things)

Do you see any air in the pump basket?
(indicates a suction side problem)

I am not sure if the pressure is running higher or lower than normal (i never thought to look when it was working perfectly - ive learned my lesson).... The current pressure is 15psi, and it has steadily been running between 12-15psi for weeks (which is how long I have noticed this problem)...

As for the pump basket, provided I am looking at the correct thing (please forgive me, very new) I can see water splashing up on the clear lid, but also looks like there might be some air bubbles in there, but its not like boiling water bubbles, more just air inside a container bubbles.... does that make sense??

thank you so much for your help! it really just confuses me and I want to make sure Im doing it all correctly!

Sounds like you have some air in the pump basket. There are a couple of things that will cause that but it is usually the pump lid not sealing correctly and the pump is sucking in air. Plumbers grease (silicon) or Magic Lube from the pool store will help seal the lid if that is the problem. Also, the pump drain plugs sometimes leak air as well so put some sealer on that as well. It is located near the bottom of the pump basket.

If that doesn't help, then the next step would be to look for an obstruction in the suction side plumbing (skimmer side). This may require taking off the suction pipe and clearing it out but make sure the skimmer hole is plugged before removing any of the pipe so the pool doesn't drain. :shock:

If that still doesn't fix it then it could be the impeller in the pump which would require the pump to be disassembled and the impeller inspected for debris or damage.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.