Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School

Thread: What shock level?

What shock level?

I'm going to shock my pool. The Chlorine/CYA chart in Pool School tells me to use shock level of 30 (my cya is 80 and FC is 5.5). However, the pool calculator is saying to shock it at 21. Which one should I use?

thanks,
    14,275 gallon inground ~ Pentair Cartridge cc200 ~ Pebbletec Tahoe Blue ~ SWG Intellichlor IC40 ~ Pentair Whisper 2hp ~ Taylor FAS-DPD Test Kit

Re: What shock level?

Also, I know nothing about chlorine and what types to use. Any recommendations?
    14,275 gallon inground ~ Pentair Cartridge cc200 ~ Pebbletec Tahoe Blue ~ SWG Intellichlor IC40 ~ Pentair Whisper 2hp ~ Taylor FAS-DPD Test Kit

Hi Kenny,

The Chlorine/CYA Chart is a little more agressive than Jason's Pool Calculator for shock levels.

Both will work, but the higher should work a little faster.

We recommend that you use only Liquid Chlorine/Bleach (plain unscented 6%) for shocking your pool.

Have you read How to shock your pool in Pool School?
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

Thanks,

I read pool school but it said to just add Chlorine and I wasn't sure if it was liquid or granuler. Is liquid chlorine cheaper than bleach or are they the same?

I talked to the pool store today and they said the liquid chlorine was more expensive than the bags of shock treatment??

Not really. A cost analysis was done by one of our special contributors and it showed bleach was the cheapest method of chlorine, when other issues are factored in. You have to shop around for the best price, I can get 12.5% liquid chlorine for $3.00 gallon/128 oz which is similar in price to Wal-mart's Great Value 6% bleach at $2.54 for 182 oz.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

Kenny,
    I'm new around here myself...and the sum of my knowledge, well…isn’t much…but I’m learning the BBB way! The preferred chlorine is the plane ol’ 6% Chlorox (not the outdoor stuff, scented, or ???) I just made a Wal Mart run and it was $3.34 for the 182oz jug. I had priced out Home Depot and several local pool stores for their liquid chlorine (most of which was 12%) and the 6% Chlorox is the best deal (and yes I did consider the other was 12%).
    Travis & Kathy
    16x32 AGP (extra return outlet installed), Pentair Dynamo Pump (1.5HP, 60+ GPM), Sta-Rite Crystal Flow Sand Filter (300 lb), Clear Diamond Solar Blanket & Reel, Pool-Skim
    Aqua Trol SWG (also controlling the pump), TF Test Kit. (Everything self installed, up and running on 08/02/09)
    Enjoying the TFP site and appreciating the infinite knowledge of it's members... and I'm slowly learning how to maintain our new pool the BBB way!
    Four Winds Spa (love the tub...hate the filtration system). Best water quality in four years using the BBB method

highly location dependent. research it for yourself. around my part of florida (is the whole state the same?) liquid chlorine is a better deal than bleach.
    16x32 21,000 gallon in-ground exposed aggregate, 1.5hp pump, 120 sqft catridge filter, birdcage, solar panels, aquavac tigershark qc robot.

Thanks reebok...You are right... Costs are always location dependent.
    Travis & Kathy
    16x32 AGP (extra return outlet installed), Pentair Dynamo Pump (1.5HP, 60+ GPM), Sta-Rite Crystal Flow Sand Filter (300 lb), Clear Diamond Solar Blanket & Reel, Pool-Skim
    Aqua Trol SWG (also controlling the pump), TF Test Kit. (Everything self installed, up and running on 08/02/09)
    Enjoying the TFP site and appreciating the infinite knowledge of it's members... and I'm slowly learning how to maintain our new pool the BBB way!
    Four Winds Spa (love the tub...hate the filtration system). Best water quality in four years using the BBB method

after re-reading my post it could be taken as rude. I meant to say "kenny, research it for yourself."
    16x32 21,000 gallon in-ground exposed aggregate, 1.5hp pump, 120 sqft catridge filter, birdcage, solar panels, aquavac tigershark qc robot.

No offence taken here! …”it’s all good!”
    Travis & Kathy

Thanks for the replys. I'll do some homework tomorrow.

Where can you get liquid chlorine? I can get 6% bleach from Costco for about $8.41 (includes tax) or about $1.97/gal which at the rate I'm using it is still a lot.
    21k gal, plaster IG pool with spa
    Main - 1 skimmer, 1 main drain, 3 returns, Spa - 1 drain, 4 returns
    WhisperFlo Dual Speed WFDS 1.5 HP pump
    S310S 30" sand filter
    Polaris 360 pressure cleaner

It always blows my mind that liquid chlorine seems to be impossible to find in Texas. The main source is the pool store, but some areas have it at walmart, grocery stores, hardware stores, etc. But I've seen several people from Texas on here who can't find it anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by kenny
    I'm going to shock my pool. The Chlorine/CYA chart in Pool School tells me to use shock level of 30 (my cya is 80 and FC is 5.5). However, the pool calculator is saying to shock it at 21. Which one should I use?

thanks,
    Why are you shocking? Is your pool green?
    I consider myself very lucky I found this site before the pool store found me-pool owner since Nov 2008- Stunningly clear 17,000 gal fiberglass pool, thanks to this site, installed in 1982-24" 3.1sq. ft sta-rite sand filter, 250# new sand -1 hp sta-rite dura glass pump-TF-100

We've had a lot of rain and it seems to be getting a green tint.....could be my imagination though. The balance of the pool has been real good and haven't shocked the pool since we opened it 3 months ago. So I figured I'd try it for the first time.

or you could do this test and completely avoid a possibly unnecessary expense. you're going to have to do it anyway to see if you're done shocking.
    pool-school/overnight_fc_test
    if you've been following the chart you should never get algae (assuming good circulation, filtration and brushing).
    pool-school/chlorine_cya_chart_shock

Quote Originally Posted by kenny
    We've had a lot of rain and it seems to be getting a green tint.....could be my imagination though. The balance of the pool has been real good and haven't shocked the pool since we opened it 3 months ago. So I figured I'd try it for the first time.
    I agree with Reebok, do an overnight loss test first, to determine if you even NEED to shock.

A properly chlorinated pool rarely needs shocking - even 3 months in...The only reason I've shocked my pool in 2 years is to go on extended vacations and to winterize.
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner

Thanks for the recommendations. I just tested FC and it's at 5.5 and my CC is at 1.0 (just had my niece and 3 of her friends swimming for the week). I don't think the pool looks very green but with the CC, I shocked it tonight.

Wise decision.