Cloudy water

Jun 17, 2009
Gotten rid of Algae but water is still a greyish white. Very Cloudy been back washing daily.Added the 14boxes(20 mule team) and four gallons muratic acid as per pool calculater but do not have borite test strips. Been using the bleach and soda . These are the numbers!
ph 7.2
fc 13
cc.5
tc 13.5
ta 140
ch100
cya48

In ground vinyl pool, sand filter,1.5hp pump 23,700 gal pool. Is the alkalinity high casing the water to be this cloudy or just still need lots of backwashing? This is the sixth day I have been attacking the pool! With the help of trouble free pool.

Very Cloudy been back washing daily.Are you seeing a rise in your filter psi and then backwashing or just backwashing daily regardless?

How did you get a CYA of 48? Your own testing or pool store?

Post those answers back up and we'll help you get this figured out......it's not your TA.

Welcome to the forum.

Backwash when the filter psi rises enough, maybe 6-8psi, from where it is right after a backwash. There is no benefit to backwashing sooner. In fact a slightly dirty sand filter is a good thing.

You are not done shocking until your water is clear.

When you say you added "soda" do you mean baking soda, washing soda, or soda ash? In any case you do not need any more of any of those.

I would not let anyone swim until the water clears.
--paulr

I suggest you leave the TA alone until after you get your pool cleared.

If the TA is causing the pH to rise making you add acid more often than you like, then you could lower it.
Instructions in Pool School. But for now, just concentrate on clearing your pool.

It sounds like you have killed the algae, but have you done an overnight test to confirm?
If all the algae is confirmed dead, then you will just need to wait for the filter to clear up the water.

I also would not let anyone swim. :wink:

DISCLAIMER-I am not an expert by any definition of the word

In the future, tackle one thing at a time & make sure you have read & understand everything you are doing.

Borates in a pool will make it harder to move pH (my pH has not moved in over 50 days) making total alkalinity harder to move due to the buffering affect of the borates on pH.

That is why it is recommended that TA & pH are where they need to be before adding borates (to lower TA you add acid to lower pH between 7-7.2with acid, aerate to bring pH up to 7.6, repeat until TA is where you want it)

pool-school/lowering%20total%20alkalinity

Adding muriatic acid lowers both pH & TA, aerating raises pH, borates make it harder to move pH (takes more acid to move pH down, more aeration to move pH up)

so-you-want-to-add-borates-to-your-pool-why-and-how-t4921.html

Someone will be along shortly to correct anything wrong I have posted.

Bob

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.