Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Distance Between Pool Drains

1. Back To Top    #1

Distance Between Pool Drains

Greetings...

Having a gunite pool built here in Texas and the distance from center on the 2 main pool drains is 41"...

Is that about right?

Thanks
    Pool: 24k, 38' x 19' x 24' Free-form IG Gunite with 24' Infinity Edge and Cantilever coping, SGM Diamond Brite Super Blue Plaster,
    Filter: Hayward C5025 Swim Clear Cartridge Pool Filter - 525 Square Feet
    Main Pool Pump: Hayward TriStar Energy Efficient Pool Pump 1HP - (SP3210EE), Hayward Pool Cleaner Booster Pump - 6060
    Infinity Edge Catch Basin Pump: Hayward TriStar Energy Efficient Pool Pump 3HP - (SP3230EE)
    Automation: Aqua Plus 40K Gallon Chlorination and Control - PL-PLUS (SWG)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Distance Between Pool Drains

I'm not sure, but I believe the min. is 36". One of the experts will know.
    IG 18x36 oval vinyl, Spill over spa, Northstar 2hp-2spd, 2.5" piping, S310T 500lb Sand filter, 400k gas heater, AutoPilot SWCG
    http://www.tftestkits.net/

3. Back To Top    #3

The actual rule is a little bit tricky to explain. One way to simplify it is that a board 29" long shouldn't be able to cover both drain covers. That isn't exactly right, but it is reasonably close. Because this dimension has increased over the years, most builders put their drains further apart than that to allow for any future increases.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

funny this came up. I just recently saw a picture of a pool with two main drains (parents were looking at houses to move). I had never heard of or seen that before. besides increased circulation, what is the reason for two? less suction so less chance of entrapment?
    16x32 21,000 gallon in-ground exposed aggregate, 1.5hp pump, 120 sqft catridge filter, birdcage, solar panels, aquavac tigershark qc robot.

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Yes. 36" is the minimum per most of the ones I've put in.

Virginia Graeme Baker Act

http://www.poolsafety.gov/pssa.pdf

6. Back To Top    #6

Perfect. Thank you.
    Pool: 24k, 38' x 19' x 24' Free-form IG Gunite with 24' Infinity Edge and Cantilever coping, SGM Diamond Brite Super Blue Plaster,
    Filter: Hayward C5025 Swim Clear Cartridge Pool Filter - 525 Square Feet
    Main Pool Pump: Hayward TriStar Energy Efficient Pool Pump 1HP - (SP3210EE), Hayward Pool Cleaner Booster Pump - 6060
    Infinity Edge Catch Basin Pump: Hayward TriStar Energy Efficient Pool Pump 3HP - (SP3230EE)
    Automation: Aqua Plus 40K Gallon Chlorination and Control - PL-PLUS (SWG)