Just how smart are robots, anyway?

deanrinehart

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 28, 2009
Bethlehem, PA
I'm trying to believe that my Blue Diamond...which works amazingly well BTW...has some sophisticated smarts as all the robotic manufacturers want you to think...but I can't see how it's pattern is any "smarter" than a 280. I've only had it a few days but it still seems completely random. Most of my larger dirt is gone within 15 minutes since it, like the dirt, settles where it's easiest to settle, then it spends the next hour burbling along wherever it happens to end up pointed after it comes off the wall.

I do see some "smarts" when dealing with the waterline, getting out of a stuck position...but that's really it.

What are these secret algorithms these companies use? Nobody has a definitive 'this is how we do it' published anywhere I can find. Even the patent filings are modestly vague (which is good for them I suppose)

I've seen no "dirt sensors" or anything like that on any bot so it pretty much drives around at random and reverses direction when it reaches the water line. None of them are smart enough to not get stuck on a piece of glass and drag it around your liner :-O

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.