I'm not sure how to read this result

zea3

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 10, 2009
Houston, Texas
I am not sure I am reading the results of this test correctly. I can tell the color is more intense than the top number on the vial. How should I be reading this result? I am using a Leslie's dpd kit, but not the one recommended by this site. It measures free and total chlorine, ph, alkalinity, and bromine. Any help would be appreciated. ( I will order a better kit when payday rolls around.) Thanks!

Attachments

• kit sm.JPG
    kit sm.JPG
    22.6 KB · Views: 346
  • test sm.JPG
    test sm.JPG
    27.3 KB · Views: 347
Yes. I use the TF-100 test kit. You count drops and watch for a color change to get your results , so theres no guessing as to your results. It's really easy and the directions are printed right on the box. Well worth the money and it has enough reagent to probably last a couple of seasons :)

pepsiholic said:
Yes. I use the TF-100 test kit. You count drops and watch for a color change to get your results , so theres no guessing as to your results. It's really easy and the directions are printed right on the box. Well worth the money and it has enough reagent to probably last a couple of seasons :)
Thanks for the information!

you can order the whole kit or just the fas/dpd kit at tftestkits.net...the owner of the site is a member of this forum and we all love the service and convenience the kit provides

The kit you have does not test all the water parameters you need to test. It does not test CH or CYA and both are important to know (although, with a vinyl pool you have a very wide acceptable range for calcium).
I would recommend getting a full TF100 kit or a Taylor K-2006 and not just an FAS-DPD test. It will be more cost effective n the long run.

O.K. Now I have slightly cloudy blue water. I have ordered a test kit but it won't be here for a few days. My problem now, I have some test strips that read up to 10 ppm for chlorine, but my recommended shock level for last night was 33. I added 6 quarts of bleach around 5:30 p.m. and tested around 10:00 p.m. using my dpd kit that only goes up to 5 ppm and the strip that goes up to 10. Both tests showed it was likely over 10 ppm. I tried to get the chlorine level tested at the pool store this morning, but while I was waiting for someone to serve me I noticed they were using the same kit I had that only reads up to 5 ppm! At 5:30 this morning both tests still showed potential chlorine levels of 10 ppm or more. At 11:30 I still get the same reading with both tests. Do I need to shock again since my water is still a little cloudy? If I shock should I plug in 10 on the pool calculator since I don't know how high the chlorine really is? By the way, my cya is 150! :shock:

Thanks!

how do you know it's 150? I don't doubt it's high, but what test read it that high for you?
if it is true, your shock level is 60 and your target level (when not shocking) is ~17. you should start draining water now. at least half, even if you do it a bit at a time (drain some, refill, drain some more, refill). I run at 70 and while not ideal, it's doable and will let you drain a bit less.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The cya level is from the strips. The Leslie's kit doesn't measure cya. I drained down about 10" yesterday and refilled and the cya level according to the strip didn't budge. I have no idea if it is right or even close. Last week, before I started reading this site, my water was cloudy so put in 2 bags of Fresh and Clear. Prior to the Fresh and Clear the strips said the cya was around 50. I don't know if Fresh and Clear has stabilizers in it or not. I went to Leslie's and looked at the bag and I couldn't tell. Anyway, I'm trying to muddle through as best I can for now. Thank you for your help!

IIRC, the hth 6-way test kit (liquid, not strips) that Wal-mart sells has the CYA test in it. I believe there is only enough reagent to do 2 tests, but that could help get you started until you can get a better test kit. It won't help with CL much, but I am almost positive it had the CYA test in it when I bought one.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.