Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Best location for lights

1. Back To Top    #1

Best location for lights

I am having 2 Savi Melody LED lights installed in my pool that is currently being built. The pool is roman shapped, with the side 21 feet long and an extra 2 feet on each end for the rounded bit. So the two LEDs will be placed somewhere in the 21 foot wall. What would be the best spacing option? Obviously, we want them spaced equally separated from the center of the 21 feet - but I just don't know by how much. If I place them so that they cut the pool length in 3 equal spaces (ie. 8.3 feet apart), won't the light in the middle be brighter than the edges? Am I overthinking this?
    25' x 13' Roman, 12000 gal IGP, Plaster, with 500 gal Spa
    SWG, 1 HP Max Flo Pump, C-900 cartridge filter
    Solar heat

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Best location for lights

Welcome to TFP!!

Can you give us a diagram of the step layout and the pool? You definitely want light on the stairs!

What we often do is have a light directly across from the stairs and one in the center of the deep end wall
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

3. Back To Top    #3

That's exactly where the pool builder put them. One closer to the shallow end to illuminte the steps, and one in the deep end. They seemed too far apart at first glance, but I think its going to work OK.

See any problems?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Solar heat

4. Back To Top    #4

That's pretty much were we'd put them, as long as the spa faces the house! It seems that having the lights face the house can be annoying to many folks - but on the other hand... there are times you don't want the lights facing the spa

Please keep us posted as to the progress of the pool
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the help. The 2 pool lights face away from the house and main patio area. The spa light does shine that way. However, I will have a separate switch for the pool and spa lights. I'm going cheap and just having them hard wired (no wireless control center), but I am going to get a couple of the wireless wall switches and use them for remote control of the lights.
    Solar heat

6. Back To Top    #6

The way that I would do (not that I'm an expret or anything) it is to make the distance in between the two lights twice the disance from the light to the edge. For instance if you had a 20' length, the first light would be 5' from the wall, then 10' in between, and another 5' to the other wall. This way you will have similar lighting on the end and in the middle. So for a 21' wall Id go 5' 4" from each wall. You can think of the light as having a 5'4" radius, see how the radius would just touch the ends and the middle with no overlap?
    15,000 gallon gunite pool, grey plaster with 8' raised spa
    Jandy PlusHP Pump 2 HP Dual Speed
    Sta-Rite 450 Sq. ft. Cartridge Filter
    Cleva-Chlor RP40HD
    Raypak 400k btu heater
    Jandy Aqualink RS-8 One Touch
    Savi Melody 12v LED lights