Pool Novice Trying to SAVE MOM’s pool .

Jul 14, 2009
South Texas
Hi, everyone a friend on another site pointed me here(Casey). I have almost No experience with pools except on a volunteer project years ago. Here is where I am. My parents installed an inexpensive AG pool last year. This season the filter broke down “think intex” it took two weeks to get in new filter; a part was missing so another week to get the new part. It arrived just as they were preparing to be gone for a week knowing that the pool could not sit in our sun like that for another week they asked me to come work on it. I know even before this happened they never really had the chemistry under control and were very frustrated. I am hoping to not only clean things up but also learn to manage the pool so I can help them learn to enjoy their pool. The problem is I know NOTHING !

I have read the defeating algae and “green swamp” links and found them very helpful. I also have been discussing it with Casey who helped me get started with the BBB method. I searched for their test kit and found parts of what looks like two drop kits neither is complete. I did find sample bottles from a pool store about 30min away (the closest). I have there new sand filtration unit up and running 24/7. We added 3 gallon of bleach to start and a gallon more about three times since. The Algae which was NOT green and slimy but brownish thick and spongy began to die immediately. We have used the surface skimmer and the poll skimmer to remove all large matter. We have vacuumed on waist adding fresh water at the same time and frequently brushed sides and bottom. We are now about 36 hrs in water is still very murky but beginning to clear.

I am feeling lost on the pool chemistry. Since I wasn’t sure about the amount of bleach without good testing. I sent my husband to pool store to have a sample tested. He forgot the sample so while they were laughing at him they were kind enough to give him some test strips and the color guide and suggested we bring in another sample in a day or two. The test strips are the 5 way and don’t test for CYA. I used the sample bottle to get sample from about 18 in deep and tested. Ran the test twice here is what I got. (Note sample was taken after dark about three hours after adding bleach.) FC 3 , TC 2, PH about 8 (did really math the 7.8 or 8.4) TA 120, and total hardness 250.

I did find that my mom had a complete CYA kit (HTH dropper test) the problem is I am not sure it is working I followed the directions mixed the solution with the water it should get cloudy. Then transfer to the view tube until the dot disappears. Problem is the water did not get cloudy so dot did not disappear giving me a reading of ZERO!!

So now I do not know where to go from here.

So the pool store is 30 min away; do you have some other source of pool stuff that's closer? walmart/homedepot/lowes may have pool departments.

It is entirely likely that you really do have CYA 0. If you're not using chlorine tablets (ingredient has "trichlor" in the name) or a certain kind of powdered chlorine (ingredient has "dichlor" in the name) then it's safe to assume you have no CYA. Without CYA, you are losing chlorine to sunlight as well as algae.

So, there are three things you want to do asap, in no particular order:

1. Keep on top of the chlorine. Can't emphasize this enough; if the chlorine goes away, the algae starts growing again and you're losing ground instead of gaining. Do you have a chlorine test that uses the yellow drops? Or just the strips? In either case you'll want to keep your chlorine higher than the test can read, until the water clears up. You'll likely need a lot more bleach than you have been using.

2. Find some CYA, often called "stabilizer" or "conditioner" you want something that is essentially all cyanuric acid. Add about 2 lb now, that will help you fight the muck; after the water clears up you will want more.

3. Keep the filter running constantly except when you clean it, which will probably be pretty often.

Along the way you also want to get your pH down into the 7.2-7.8 range, it's on the high side right now. Hardware or paint stores will carry muriatic acid, use the Pool Calculator to figure out how much to use.

You will also want some POP (pool owner patience). It didn't get like this overnight, it won't clear up overnight. Stick with it, it'll get better.
--paulr

Thanks for the input it is very helpful. Based on what I am learning and the fact that I'm losing chlorine quickly I am inclined to trust that the CYA is indeed zero.

I am not in a position right now to put a lot of my money into this pool at this point. I have permission to use my parents home depot card to get whatever I need so at this point I am limited to use mostly what is available there. Bleach, muriatic acid, even stabilizer shouldn't be a problem. Is there a chance they may have a more reliable testing kit than what I am using. I have about 30 strips but only enough reagent solution to do one more CYA test. I can't order the recommended kit until they get back. Is there a chance Home Depot will carry a good one.

It's a pretty good drive so I need to get what I need in one trip if at all possible.

-----------

PH should not be adjusted when chlorine is high. I just put in my last 2 1/2 gallon of bleach which will likely be gone by the time I get back from the Home Depot. At that point should I go ahead and hit the PH, Then stabilizer, then bring the chlorine back up? What kind of wait time should I be use between adding all these different chemicals?

I can't emphasize how much you need a good test kit. Otherwise its a guessing game. Its like going to the doctor and telling him that you have a high fever and he starts writing scripts for 4 different medicines without running any tests.

If you are limited to your parents HD card, I'd suggest buying a new powerdrill and turn around selling it for cash on ebay and buy the TF100, or maybe the user who sells them would be willing to do a swap for one. Its that important. I mean you can pour bleach in all day, but if you don't know if you are hitting shock levels, its just a waste of money.

Most of the chemicals you can get at Home depot. You just need to talk to your parents about getting the test kit.

Best of Luck!

NOT everyone can drop 70 dollars without some planning first thanks. So there has to be something between THE BEST and just guessing? I'm not planing to just sit around guessing that is WHY I ASKED IF THERE IS A PASSABLE KIT THAT WILL DO UNTIL THE POOL OWNERS ARE HERE TO MAKE THE PURCHASE OF A BETTER ONE.

Even if I could order the 70 test today it wouldn't get here for at least two days I take it I shouldn't just sit on my hands until then.

TabiCat said:
So there has to be something between THE BEST and just guessing? I'm not planing to just sit around guessing that is WHY I ASKED IF THERE IS A PASSABLE KIT THAT WILL DO UNTIL THE POOL OWNERS ARE HERE TO MAKE THE PURCHASE OF A BETTER ONE.

Sure, its called pool store testing. They do it for free. Other than that, you have your simple chlorine test that uses drops and you match against a yellow chart, which is worthless when fighting algae as those only go up to 5ppm FC.
That leaves you with test strips, otherwise known as guess strips which is the same you are doing now. So no, there is nothing out there worth wasting your money on. Just keep dumping bleach in it until your parents get back to order the kit. Also ALL CAPS IS LIKE YELLING AT SOMEONE - which yelling doesn't get you much help...

For now, til your parents get back - dump 3lbs of CYA in the pool. If there is truly 0 CYA in it, then this will increase it to around 25-30ppm. Drop in 2 - 182oz - jugs of 6% bleach. This is your standard big jug of chlorox. Do this daily and vacuum, brush, and clean the pool of the algae. Best of Luck!

I am sorry I yeld but I don't like being belitled becuase I'don't have an extra 70$ on hand at the drop of the hat. I am doing the best I can with the resources I have.

I never said I wasn't going back to the pool store for testing but we live very rual and it's not something I can do several times a day.

TabiCat said:
I am sorry I yeld but I don't like being belitled becuase I'don't have an extra 70$ on hand at the drop of the hat. I am doing the best I can with the resources I have.

I never said I wasn't going back to the pool store for testing but we live very rual and it's not something I can do several times a day.

For now, til your parents get back - dump 3lbs of CYA in the pool. If there is truly 0 CYA in it, then this will increase it to around 25-30ppm. Drop in 2 - 182oz - jugs of 6% bleach daily. This is your standard big jug of chlorox. Do this daily and vacuum, brush, and clean the pool of the algae. Best of Luck!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
walmart carries a 6-way HTH test kit, so there's a good chance Home Depot will too. It's not as good as the TF-100 of course, but it is certainly better than the strips anyway. You can check when you go to find the stabilizer (CYA),etc. As mentioned earlier, keep adding bleach to make sure your level of chlorine stays elevated. You will lose ground against the algae if you let it fall. Good luck!

Hi TabiCat! :wave: Glad to see you made it over.

The pool test kits and strips sold at walmart and other places aren't all that great. :( Once mom and dad get home, tell them how important it is to get the good test kit. They have been so frustrated, it will take the guess work out of it and they'll enjoy a Trouble Free Pool as will you and the kids. :-D It will last them a couple years and you can upgrade the kit on an as need basis.

Continue adding bleach. I'd add more than just two a day, maybe two in the morning, one in the afternoon and a few at night just to get the chlorine up there. :goodjob:

I've seen the pool. She's put a dent in it the last couple days. Keep at it TabiCat! Your mom and dad will be shocked when they get home! :cool:

Welcome to TFP! :cool:

Casey said:
Continue adding bleach. I'd add more than just two a day, maybe two in the morning, one in the afternoon and a few at night just to get the chlorine up there. :goodjob:

That is A LOT of bleach for a small pool. With 13500 gallons, that would put it over 30ppm :shock: I didn't suggest that much until she gets a real test kit as to not take the chance of harming the liner.

She has no CYA. I figured the HOT Texas sun would burn most of that off combined with the algae consuming it. Wouldn't you say?

Let's say she's guesstimating a 2ppm FC with strips. I calculate to get to 15ppm shock <even though she only needs to get to 12> she'll need 2 gallon 3 quarts.

If it drops to 6ppm <hypothetically speaking> to bump it back up to 15, she'd add 2 gallons or 2.6 96oz of bleach in the afternoon. <I suggested 1 gallon in the afternoon>

At night, let's say it drops to 6 again <hypothetically> at 10:30, add another 3 gallons just to top her off and give the algae a run for the money.

I'm figuring, since we're all playing a guessing game on numbers, it probly wouldn't hurt til she turned the corner while we're figuring in the hot Texas heat + sun. :shock: I hear it's HOT down there.

This is what PaulR said...
PaulR said:
So, there are three things you want to do asap, in no particular order:

1. Keep on top of the chlorine. Can't emphasize this enough; if the chlorine goes away, the algae starts growing again and you're losing ground instead of gaining. Do you have a chlorine test that uses the yellow drops? Or just the strips? In either case you'll want to keep your chlorine higher than the test can read, until the water clears up. You'll likely need a lot more bleach than you have been using.

2. Find some CYA, often called "stabilizer" or "conditioner" you want something that is essentially all cyanuric acid. Add about 2 lb now, that will help you fight the muck; after the water clears up you will want more.

3. Keep the filter running constantly except when you clean it, which will probably be pretty often.

--paulr

I think it bares repeating. :wink: <bold added by me>

Tabi has given me permission to post her pics... Thank you Tabi.

This pic was after her first initial bleach addition. She said that their was lots of floating gunk coming up. She also stated she wished she would have taken a pic before she started. I'm betting it was nearly black! :shock: This was after she had skimmed the top and cleaned the filter.
SU1HMDAwNzkuanBn.jpg

SU1HMDAwODAuanBn.jpg

5:30 Monday evening
SU1HMDAwODIuanBn.jpg

SU1HMDAwODQuanBn.jpg
[/quote]

10 am Tuesday July 14
SU1HMDAwODYuanBn.jpg

7PM Tuesday while vacuuming
water hose on floor of pool
SU1HMDAwOTMuanBn.jpg

She is clearly making progress. Her mom is due back on Saturday. I can't wait to hear her reaction when she sees a crystal clear pool! I feel confidant that she would possibly run to duraleigh's house for the TF-100 after Tabi knocks her socks off with a glimpse of a Trouble Free Pool! :party:

TabiCat said:
I have about 30 strips but only enough reagent solution to do one more CYA test.
Save the reagent. Do not test for CYA until a week after you've added the last of it. The stuff seems to dissolve faster than that but the practical experience on the forum is it's better to wait. After the first day or so, just assume it's in there.

TabiCat said:
PH should not be adjusted when chlorine is high.
You have been reading... :goodjob: good thing 'cos I forgot to say that. :oops:

TabiCat said:
What kind of wait time should I be use between adding all these different chemicals?
Acid and bleach together are a deadly combination (chlorine gas) so those of us unwilling to poison the neighborhood like to wait a while, say 30 minutes, between when we add the bleach and the acid. That's being excessively cautious but the consequences of screwing up are so dire it's really best to be prudent.

The CYA takes days to dissolve, usually we say load up a sock and hang it in front of a return jet. Or because you're running the filter 24/7, you could drop it in the skimmer if it doesn't block the flow. You can add other stuff (in front of a different return) while it's sitting there.
--paulr

Tabi has the CYA in a sock placed in the skimmer basket at the moment. :wink:

There is also only one return <above ground pool>.

WooHoo, Tabicat!! Glad you're here and you're learned a LOT already!! Good for you and great progress!!...I'm here between Houston and Galveston living on the surface of the sun :wink: so I know what you're fighting. Everyone here will help you. Keep up the good work...Casey is awesome for sending you here!! :whoot:

I was heading out to work on Monday. She posted about it on Sunday evening at another board we frequent for urgent help. I got the wheels turning and set them in motion. I knew Tabi would need help once I went to work so I did the next best thing and sent her over here to my good friends cuz I knew you'd all help her while I was at gone.

I'm telling ya, I can't wait to see her progress today! :mrgreen:

I have another friend from that board on her way to order the TF-100 today. She'll be calling sometime today duraleigh. :wink:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.